Mass of the Drinkers

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Mass of the Drinkers

Postby tri on Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:24 am

A little something to brighten up your rainy Tuesday mornings...

This may have been posted previously, if so, apologies in advance. I came across this great piece in Medieval Dublin V and it's such a fantastic window on humour and silliness in the 14th century that it should be shared. It's a translation of part of a document known as MS Harley 913 (London, British Library), a small codex written in French, Hiberno-English and Latin and thought to have been complied by one man around the year 1330. He is presumed to have been a Franciscan, based in the Waterford area.

There's little more to say other than, enjoy, and to wonder how long it is before we start hearing renditions of this at re-enactments :)

Mass of the Drinkers (Translated from Latin)

Here begins the Mass of the Drinkers

Verse: I will go unto the altar of Bacchus. Response: Unto the wine that gladdens the heart of man.

I confess to the malefactor Bacchus the all-drinker, and to the culprit wine red in colour, and to all drinking cups, and to you (fellow) drunkards, that I have drunk exceedingly gluttonously through excessive vomiting of the malefactor Bacchus my God, by boozing, by sneezing, by yawning, by my very large rump, by my very large rump. Therefore I pray most blessed Bacchus, and all my goblets, and to you my (fellow) drunkards, to drink to me to the lord Bacchus the malefactor, and may he have mercy on me.

May cup-mighty Bacchus have mercy on you, and allow you to lose all your clothes, and lead you to the living tavern, who drinks and swills, cups without end. Garbage.

May cup-mighty Bacchus grant you crapulance, gulping and the loss of all your clothes. Garbage.

O your God, turn and you will gladden us. And your people will be drunk in you.

Reveal unto us your joy, o Lord. And grant us your drink.

Lord, hear my cry. And grant us the loss of our clothes.

The fraud be with you. And with your groaning.

Let us drink: Prayer: Take away from us, Bacchus, we pray, all our clothes, so that we may be worthy to enter the cup-tavern with our bodies naked, cups without end. Garbage.

Verse: Blessed are they that dwell in the tavern, and will meditate there day and night.

Let us drink: Prayer: O God, who has caused a multitude of rustics to come to the service of the knighthood and clergy, and who has sown discord between them: grant us, we beseech you, to live off their labours, to use their wives, and to rejoice in their humiliation, by our Lord the malefactor Bacchus, who drinks and swills, cups without end. Garbage.

Lesson: The Acts of the Female Strippers: In no days, a host of drinkers were of one heart and all things were held in common between them. Nor did any of them claim what they possessed as their own. But the one who sold the spoils brought [them] before the feet of the drinkers, and they owned everything in common. And there was a certain man, Londrus by name, the worst imbiber, who agreed with the drinkers a game of chance, as far as his clothes were worth. And thus he made his profits and his losses from the cup. And throwing him out of the tavern, they stoned him. His clothes however were cast off, and to each man was a drink distributed, according as he had need.

Response: Cast yout thought upon Decius and he will destroy you. Verse: For he has made me drunk as a drinker of the wine jar. Asiat. Asiat.

Verse: Drop down, you cups from above, and let the clouds pour down wine; let the earth open and give birth to the drinker.

The frequency of the false gospel according to Bacchus. Deceit to you, rustic.

In springtime, the drinkers spoke to one another, 'Let us go even unto the tavern, and see there this word that is spoken concerning this wine jar'. And entering the tavern, they found the hostess of the tavern and three dice placed in a bowl. And tasting of this wine, they understood that what had been said to them about this wine jar was true. And all who were there were made drunk by these things which had been given to them by the drinkers. But the hostess of the tavern looked upon their clothes, revolving in her mind whether they were of any worth. And the drinkers, praising Bacchus and cursing Decius, were stripped.

Let us drink: Offertory: Cups empty the supply of Bacchus, and they make the mouth of drinkers throw up right to the bottom.

(Let not Sanctus nor Agnus Dei be sung, but let praise be given with swords and cudgels)

Our father who are in cups, hallowed be your wine. Let the drink of Bacchus come, let your raging be done in wine as it is in the tavern. Give us this day our bread to devour. And forgive us our great cups, as we forgive our drinkers. And do not lead us into wines temptation. But deliver us from our clothes.

Communion: The soulds of the drinkers who have followed the steps of Bacchus, indeed [who have gone] with Bacchus into the wine jar, rejoice, and because they have lost their clothes for his love.

Let us drink. O God, who has enlightened three quadrate ten times sixty-three eyes, grant us, we pray, that we who follow their steps, by bragging of the quadrate Decius may be removed from our clothes. By our Lord.

The fraud be with you, et cetera. Go with an empty purse. Thanks be to the malefactor.

(Fletcher, Alan, J. 2004 Gods Jesters and the festive culture of medieval Ireland. In S. Duffy (ed) Medieval Dublin V, 277-290)
tri
Active Newbie

Re: Mass of the Drinkers

Postby Billy on Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:37 am

Garbage to that Sister Trí, Garbage.

Let us take our holy rite to the County of Cork this Friday Eve, that they may know the way of Bacchus and sup the brimming cup of indulgence.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Return to Late Medieval