Calling all Spinners!!

Share your work & ask for assistence for arts & crafts that don't fit into a specific time period

Moderator: the_power

Calling all Spinners!!

Postby Stitchlily on Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:42 pm

I might get into trouble as this is not strictly a re-enactment event, but it could be!!

19th September 2009 is World Wide Spin in Public Day, and I am trying to muster, and compile a list of spinners interested in, well, spinning in public...
It's a great opportunity to show off our spindles and wheels, meet up and chat with other spinners. If there is anyone interested, please get involved.

It would be great to be able to list a few re-enactment groups as being involved....I am, so far, the only official event! I am still a novice spinner, so I'm a bit nervous of such a public display of bad spinning ...(Hopefully I will be to busy chatting to actually get any spinning done). But you can't ask other people to do this stuff if you dont put yourself out there first. I will be in The Crafty Alley Shop in Killarney, Co. Kerry, with my wheel and spindle from 2pm - 5pm.

If there is any spindle-makers out there, it could be a great oppotunity to get some advertising.

More info on Irish events here http://www.woollyway.blogspot.com
More info on the event here http://www.wwsipday.com/
Stitchlily
Full Name: Stitchlily

Re: Calling all Spinners!!

Postby wiblick on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:27 am

I'll mention this to Azure, she hasn't been online lately.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby Stitchlily on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:20 pm

Thanks. I'm away for a week next week, working at the Electric Picnic, so I'm trying to push it as much as possible before I go.

If anyone can get to Killarney, I'll have loads of fibres samples with me, everything from hemp and flax to silk, camel, cashmere, angora, etc...All as raw fibre, or combed tops. I've been working on a project about natural fibres as part of UN International Year of Natural Fibres. Although a lot of these fibres could not be produced in Ireland, its very interesting how many of them were imported quite far back....I'm still astounded when I read about the quantity of silk in Viking Dublin!!
Stitchlily

Postby Stitchlily on Sun Sep 13, 2009 8:55 pm

The Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers are meeting up in Airifeld House, Dundrum, 1pm-4pm as part of WWSIP. wheels and drop spindles welcome...
Stitchlily

Postby noodle on Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:10 pm

Oooh, might show up in Dundrum then!
Head in the clouds, feet in the grass, mind in the gutter...
noodle
Full Name: Niamh Carey

Return to Arts & Crafts