Re-Enactment in Estonia

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Re-Enactment in Estonia

Postby phogan on Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:22 am

Hello

My name is Peter Hogan and I am the Third Secretary at the Embassy of Ireland in Tallinn, Estonia. I am posting here in response to a query we received at the Embassy from Mr. Robert Kallasmaa. Mr. Kallasmaa is an Estonian man with an avid interest in Irish history, particularly pre-Christian and early Christian Ireland. Mr. Kallasmaa participates in a number of living history groups in Estonia, mostly medieval and Viking recreation groups. Estonia is fortunate to have many suitable locations for such recreation, e.g. old forests, medieval castles and forts, the Baltic coastline. These groups organise a host of activities, including fighting classes, craft camps and battle recreations.

Mr. Kallasmaa contacted the Embassy as he would like to explore opportunities for co-operation with living history groups in Ireland. As indicated, his primary area of interest is pre-Christian and early Christian Ireland. If there are any groups who would be interested in collaborating and sharing experiences with the groups in Estonia please let me know.

I have not added an email address to this post as I am not sure of the board moderators’ views on same, but if this is permitted I can do so.

Peter Hogan
phogan
Full Name: Peter Hogan

Re: Re-Enactment in Estonia

Postby knightofredemption on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:11 am

Peter we have no problem with you including your email add, and I hope you get a great response from our members :D
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby brendan on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:12 am

Peter,
it is possible to set up an email address in your use profile. Generally people don't put them directly in posts to avoid spammers - no rule banning it per say.
There are a number of groups who would probably be interested; here are a few and the sort of stuff they do:
Mogh Roith http://www.moghroith.org/ who are based in Clare/Limerick do a lot of stuff focused on the eras you are talking about. The group includes a few academics and archaeologists. I am involved with these guys as are Dave Mooney and Billy on here (And a few others)
Gael agus Gall http://www.gaelagusgall.org/ are primarily focused on the Viking era and have close contacts with both the National Museum of Ireland and groups in Norway and Denmark and also have a few academic types to draw on. Triona who posts on here is involved as is John Nicholl (not sure if he is active on here though)

There are a few other groups that do the time period but that would be a good start.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby phogan on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:49 am

Thanks very much for the assistance.
phogan
Full Name: Peter Hogan

Return to Introductions