Better late than never, i hope!

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Better late than never, i hope!

Postby rainsfordryan on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi all, I finally signed up. I've been interested in reenactment for over 10 years now, but as I suffer from that thing that Hamlet had, procrastination, I've done nothing. Born and raised in Galway City, there was nothing there then in the way of reenactment. About once or twice every year( usualy after seeing some of ye at Craggaunowen, or the Kildare county show in Athy(where my wife hails from)) i think about setting up my own group, but then just chase after my children with a stick instead.

Having been at the Lughnasa celebration in Craggaunowen there a few weeks ago, I'm infected again, damn ye. Well done everyone ye were great. It was a bit shocking though to see the Romans, I didn't realise they had invaded.

So again, hi everyone
rainsfordryan
Full Name: Fergal Ryan

Re: Better late than never, i hope!

Postby brendan on Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:28 pm

Hi and welcome
I was at Crag doing the armour display thing, not sure if I got to talk to you
What era is it that interests you most?

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Dave Mooney on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi 'rainsfordryan',

'Procrastination' is most of our middle names.

We, Mogh Roith, are the organising group of that Crag event. We're just down the road from you so would be happy to help you set up or lend any help at all. The Mid-West/West needs more groups.

The Roman's were a happy happen stance that weekend. Our spear training thing went west on us and their own event went the same way on them so they picked up the phone and redirected to the Crag and we all benefited from each other.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby brendan on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:07 pm

I just had a weird mental picture or a Roman tour bus
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby rainsfordryan on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:45 pm

I'm interested in everything from before the first arrival of the Vikings in Ireland to the end of Clan system in the 16th/17th century. Vikings and Normans are great, all that metal, chain mail, helmets and of course big shields. But you have to love those big butterfly like sleeves of the Kern in John Derrick's prints. So....., hum, it would be nice to start with the kern and then possibly advance from there. Then again were the Kern always around and looked the same before Derrick and Durer drew them, or did the Irish dress like the Celts of Europe at some stage and if so, when abouts did they change? A question for the scholars and archaeologists among ye(The Scottish didn't always have the kilt but adaped it in the middle ages i think, before that they were apparently similar in dress to the Irish. Not surprising considering the scotti were invaders and settlers from Ireland, there to dement the poor Picts).

The article in the slua mag on Kern looks good, I have to finish reading it. Any other info, websites, good suppliers of kit or how to DIY info would be great.

Also, I read about the fund raising event in wexford in Sept, ment to be suppliers there, would it be worth the long drive down from B'sloe?

Many thanks, Fergal
rainsfordryan

Postby brendan on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:07 pm

I think the September Wexford gig may be cancelled (if it is the one I am thinking of - could be wrong).
The depiction of Kern that you refer to (in the Slua magazine) is essentially 16th Century. The garment design etc means that it is not likely to have been around in that form any earlier than the 15th century (This has been discussed a lot). The consequence of this is that
There are 2 problems with the Derrick prints: 1) It is not always easy to figure out exactly what the guys are wearing 2) They were definitely influenced by a desire to make the Irish look like a bunch of dodgy retrogrades.

If you are interested in Scots stuff and Kilts then have a look at numerous threads on livinghistory.co.uk - the short answer is that there is very little (no) evidence of kilts as we know them (pleated belted plaid material) before 16th/17th century (Cant remember the specifics but more 17th than 16th)

so, Derrick needs to be treated with caution, kilts are totally out (even for Scottish)
...that probably verged on a rant so I will try to be more positive :)
What status/rank in society are you looking to depict?
Are you looking for Gael (in so far as that existed) or are you open to the idea of wearing English/Continental influenced garb (which the later Kern and Derick stuff is anyway)?
Are you looking at military or civilian?

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby rainsfordryan on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:25 pm

There are just to many options, Irish would be nice, so would being Vikings/Normans, but to be patriotic and all that. Warrior class preferably, but could do a little peasent basket making on the side also.Humm

Have a bad native american indian costume from a play recently, could go around as a Viking trophy, that would realy confuse people!!!!!
rainsfordryan

Postby rainsfordryan on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:30 pm

must realy try and russel up a group some how and see about a group consenses
rainsfordryan

Postby brendan on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:41 pm

shudder :shock: :o
You really need to start by picking a century - Viking era (Irish/Viking) is popular, other eras there arent so many people doing them. have a look at http://www.gaelagusgall.org/gaelweb/kit.html for basic Irish kit from the era

Are you already doing basket making or was that something random?

Re: Group if you are the one founding you may as well decide up front and then try to recruit people - if they dont bite then maybe change era

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby rainsfordryan on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:59 pm

thanks Brendan, great website, hadn't checked that one out before. If thats what most people are doing, its probably a good time period to start in, in case groups ever get together. I must give them a buzz re suppliers.

re basket making, the last year or so, we were busy with building an extention and mostly rearing our now one year old. But before that i managed to obtain about 16 different willow varieties. I produced baskets for sale at one time for our local farmers market and to sell in our shop, mostly round skibs or ciseogs, a few baskets with handles, a few arty bits, a lobster pot and a coracle/ boyne currach, thats all! ;) (coracle rotted before i could get around to making the covering of tarred canvas, not regettably, leather. That then rotted before i got to make another coracle. :x So i went out and bought a small lake boat! :D
The life and times of Fergal Ryan!
rainsfordryan

Next

Return to Introductions