Scians

England from the Tudors to the Stewarts, Flight of the Irish Earls, the Discovery of the Americas and Global Trade

Moderator: the_power

Scians

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:28 am

Could this kindjal pass as an irish scian? And why doesn't anyone but irish arms make replicas of irish scians?
Attachments
kindjal.jpg
kindjal.jpg (14.77 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Re: Scians

Postby tommyargue on Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 am

I gott hese scian dubh from "Hill Interiors " in the U.K. Their collection is quite good and the service is excellent.
Attachments
dirk 2.jpg
dirk 2.jpg (52.67 KiB) Viewed 4562 times
dirk 1.jpg
dirk 1.jpg (45.57 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby brendan on Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:39 am

are you looking for something that you could take onto a battlefield (hard with the particular knife shape); something that looks OK and is good value or something that is exquisitely crafted (but will cost you)?

There are a lot of guys out there capable of producing each type

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:21 pm

brendan wrote:are you looking for something that you could take onto a battlefield (hard with the particular knife shape); something that looks OK and is good value or something that is exquisitely crafted (but will cost you)?

There are a lot of guys out there capable of producing each type

Brendan

My first priority is something that is historically accurate.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:44 pm

well, if you are looking for something that is 100% right you could always try Tod... http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/knives.php - truly exceptional stuff (Just don't take it on a battlefield)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Swifty on Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:49 pm

tommyargue wrote:I gott hese scian dubh from "Hill Interiors " in the U.K. Their collection is quite good and the service is excellent.

The scian-dubh is wholly inaccurate for use as a substitute for a scian. The scian-dubh is a relatively modern phenomena and is centuries later in date and bears no comparison in dimensions. Also the handle furniture is in the style of the British ballock dagger which is not the same as the Irish scian. Kev, the kindjal you have posted would need to be straigtened by filing down the back at the tip-end, and then - maybe - it would be 'passable'.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby tommyargue on Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:28 pm

Swifty wrote:
tommyargue wrote:I gott hese scian dubh from "Hill Interiors " in the U.K. Their collection is quite good and the service is excellent.

The scian-dubh is wholly inaccurate for use as a substitute for a scian. The scian-dubh is a relatively modern phenomena and is centuries later in date and bears no comparison in dimensions. Also the handle furniture is in the style of the British ballock dagger which is not the same as the Irish scian. Kev, the kindjal you have posted would need to be straigtened by filing down the back at the tip-end, and then - maybe - it would be 'passable'.

Thanks for that.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby Dave Mooney on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:30 pm

I'm nearly sure the Scian that Irish Arms do, and the one in question, has two different sections along its length also. A bit of a bugger to forge and not all knife makers will be arsed going to the trouble. Also, they come to a slender point so taking that off for field combat wrecks the look of it. Irish arms model has the best compromise between authenticity and field eligibility...I reckon.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby finnobreanan on Wed Aug 05, 2009 6:14 pm

The scian I bought from Irish Arms is very accurate in every detail. It is identical to the one illustrated in the Ashmolean Mueum's print of Irish Chieftains. The one shown shown above are not right.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby kevin714 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:57 pm

Can you post a picture?
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Next

Return to Early Modern