Ring Forts and Raths from Satellite

From palaeolithic to the late iron age, discuss leather underwear and rocks to your hearts' content

Moderator: the_power

Ring Forts and Raths from Satellite

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:40 pm

Just on a lark yesterday, I got on Google maps in satellite view and thought I would look for my brother's house in Newport, County Tipperary. Unfortunately, Newport is far enough away from Limerick, that the resolution wasn't good enought to make it out.

I started scanning the countryside further south where the resolution was better quality on the map. Suddenly I saw dozens of ring forts and raths scattered throughout the countyside. Having driven in this area before on my way to Lough Gur, I never saw anything from the roads. Many of them are quite isolated and well out in the middle of fields or are wooded and nearly invisible. Some have been plowed over, but are quite plain from space. You can also detect old fields and agricultural areas. I thought this was pretty darned cool. I think I have a new hobby! :D

Sacred Sites also has this feature, but the images are smaller and in some places like Tara, the resolution is too low.
http://www.sacred-destinations.com/irel ... -sites.htm
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Re: Ring Forts and Raths from Satellite

Postby finnobreanan on Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:50 am

So (as my Irish grandfather used to start a story) I went to Google maps tonight and typed in "Tulsk". You can see everyhing! I'm sorry, but this is jusy too cool.

I told my wife tonight that now that I have my Master degree in Museum studies (12 years ago) and archives management, I now want a PHD in archeaology...as long as I study and practice in Ireland!
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Dave Mooney on Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:41 am

Go for it!

We have some 45,000 Raths on record and that is likely to climb to 53,500 by the time we finish digging roads and gas pipe lines. They're the most common thing found in the archaeological landscape. (Snip for my Craggaunowen tour :P www.craggaunowen.org)
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby the_power on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:51 pm

Give it a few more years, and hopefully they'll have super-high-res imagery of the whole country. Turns out getting weather that'll let you do big sweeps of this poxy-climated country with airplane-mounted spy-satellite style cameras is harder than you might think.

john
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Return to Pre-History