Magnus Barelegs2009

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Magnus Barelegs2009

Postby sweeney-viking on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:49 pm

Hello Everybody,
My name is Connor Sweeney. I am a member of the Magnus Vikings Association in Co.Down. I've been with the goup now for around six years now but I have spent around three Years of that time living in Norway where myself and my Girlfriend are also part of the Haakon Haakonsson group in Bergen. But now it looks like we are here to stay.
Anyway, this year the two of us have been given the task of managing the site and organizing the reenactment for this years Magnus Festival. I've got some new Ideas under way already and things are starting to look a little bit rosier than they did when I was first asked to do this (I've got big boots to fill with the success that the festival has seen in the hands of Montague Heritage). Within the next two weeks I will put out a proper invitation on this site. Until then, if anyone has any positive ideas that we could add to the Festival this year I would love to hear from you.
Thanks for reading and until next time.
Connor Sweeney
sweeney-viking
Gall Gael
sweeney-viking
Full Name: Connor Sweeney

Re: Magnus Barelegs2009

Postby Matt on Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:23 am

Hi Connor, welcome to the forum. Good luck with the festival, I am sure it will be a success. Have a good weekend at Barryscourt and say hi to the lads for us, we are off to Gudvangen now, so I'll say hi to Georg for you and Aiza. Take care, Matt
Matt Ferris - Odin's Einherjare
Matt
Full Name: Matt ferris

Postby Jess de Búrca Monty on Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:57 am

Thanks for the nod Conor, but in fairness it's been a few years since we had any hands on contact with the event and credit is due to the Living History Society. Under Derek Gallagher the society took on the running of the event with very little funding in a near voluntary capacity.
I wish you every success with the event. Delamont is a very beautiful spot and is an ideal location for an event such as this. If you haven't been before, I urge you to go and experience a weekend in such settings. Give my regards to the gang and be sure to take lots of photos.
Regards
Jessica de Búrca-Montague
Montague Heritage Services
...bringing history to life!
Jess de Búrca Monty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Jessica de Búrca-Montague

Postby vikingwomble on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:16 am

We always enjoyed going to Magnus Barelegs and was always a fun gig, because a)it wqas close to us, and we could get home fairly quickly, and b) there were always good crowds to watch the displays...The only problem with it is that the wind can get up fairly strongly which can put a dampner on marching up and down all those hills

Anyway hope you have fun doing it
Imagination is more important than knowledge
vikingwomble

Postby the_power on Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:43 pm

I would love to have an irish short-spear unit present; they are very effective against large viking shields. I'm going to try some training & combat practice at Craggaunowen this August bank holiday, and hopefully update our single-handed short spear tutorial with photos & videos.

If people are interested in getting training in short spear, or taking part in an early-irish short spear line, give me a shout.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Neil on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:13 pm

My recommendation would be some libations to the Gods for the weather. Brilliant gig and delighted to hear it's going ahead again this year
Neil
South Dublin Living History Society
Neil
Full Name: Neil Byrne

Postby Bandraoi on Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:05 pm

Get a priestess into the lake, it works wonders for the weather. :lol:
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Postby Neil on Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Bandraoi wrote:Get a priestess into the lake, it works wonders for the weather. :lol:

And for attendance too!!! :lol:
Neil
South Dublin Living History Society
Neil
Full Name: Neil Byrne

Return to Introductions