Monte Cassino 1944

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

Monte Cassino 1944

Postby ORESTE7 on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:57 am

Hello all First let me introduce my self my name is Oreste Cassoni of Italian decent and was involved in the German WW2 reenactment scene until recently due to ill health i retired from reenacting and now mostly spend my time in Italy exploring the Battle Fields of the Cassino Front {Gustav} line and the many interesting sites which are easily still accessible to all. What i am offering is a Half Board {B&B} with collection to and from Rome Airport and all equipment supplied eg shovel,spades,metal detectors to those who wish to avail of this offer,i will post some photos of my activities in Cassino to give you an idea of what you can expect.Please note there are still a number of unexploded ordinance strewn around and while i will do my best to make sure that all our guests are always safe i cannot take responsibility for those who act recklessly,My golden rule is if i find live ordinance i leave it alone and call the local police to dispose of it
My rates are as follows 1 week --visit the British,Polish,German Cemeteries in Cassino,day trip to the Monastery visiting the town,Castle hill and surrounding areas Day trip to Piana Della Orme Museo http://www.pianadelleorme.it/ 2 full days Metal detecting all this would easily fill 1 week stay and would cost 350 euro pp
Any one interested please PM me and i will foward you more informationImage
in this photos is myself and Bob Frethlohr a vet from the battle
in this photo is parts from an American WW2 fighter i recovered in Atina this year and one of the sites we would visit
Image[url][/url]
Image B&B were you will be staying
This is the B&B you would be staying at during your visit
This one was safe as it was totally empty so i recovered it
This one was live so after i reburied it notified the local police,there are many items strewn about like this still, and present a real danger to the fool harthy
Last edited by ORESTE7 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CESSERE
ORESTE7
Full Name: Oreste Cassoni

Re: Monte Cassino 1944

Postby ORESTE7 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:35 pm

Image Two Lads from Cork who joined me earlier this month 8th-15th and had a very interesting time in Cassino i wont mention there names but for those who recognise them by all means contact them on there experienceLocation Monte Grande {Gustav line}
Last edited by ORESTE7 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CESSERE
ORESTE7

Postby ORESTE7 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:45 pm

Image Shrapnel find
CESSERE
ORESTE7

Postby ORESTE7 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Monte Grande ,close to the town of Arce were there was heavy fighting in 1944 see Forum link http://www.ww2talk.com/forum/italy/2048 ... 944-a.html
CESSERE
ORESTE7

Postby ORESTE7 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:48 pm

Image Shrapnel Find
Image Monte Piccolo
Image Battle Scars at a first aid post {Monte Grande}
Image German Mortar Pit {we dug up detonator/fuses here}
Image American Ammo Boxes found in Atina
Image My 1000 customer will receive a Ferrari {laughing}
CESSERE
ORESTE7

Postby jonnyb-2 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:19 pm

Well done!

Great job!
jonnyb-2
Full Name: Jonny

Postby mountcashel on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:51 pm

That grenade had to be inspected before it was reconised to be live , and it had to be moved in order to be buried, activities suh as this are foolhardy alright! wonder why army guys never go near this shit without full armour ,or better still a HOBO? What happens if some one on a tour gets their arms and face removed when one of these unstable devices goes off, you cant be everywhere supervising everyone at once?? I hope the insurance covers it....
be bloody careful!
Mountcashel.
mountcashel

Postby Nerva on Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:54 pm

Salve Oreste!

Do you ever come across any Roman finds?

Salve

Nerva
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby USER8472 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:55 am

Firstly let me just say how completely shocked i am that this is being entertained here! Are you for real!!!!! Are you EOD qualified or do you even have an NGO qualification? or do you even have the cop-on to follow a golden rule of "stay away" - obviously not!!!!!!!
You are not qualified to say "this one is empty and completely safe" you aren't!!!! do you know how to check all of the munitions pictured? As far as i am aware it takes two years of training in an Ordnance Depot School to gain a qualification in this field.
Whats my qualification? well firstly i have the common sense to know this is complete madness, and second - i spent just six months in Lebanon using a Valon line detector and a mine sweep, and i never ever want to do it again after what i seen, so take it from me who has been there-done that or go on this trip with someone who has a very poor lack of judgement and come home minus a limb, or in a steel box, its as good as Russian Roulette, - you could go to Cambodia and dig mines up either, same thing.
I expected more from people but im always amazed.
USER8472
Full Name: Mark.

Postby ORESTE7 on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:42 pm

Ok i totally understand what you are saying and in a normal humdrum world that's fine if you want to go to Disney Land or Butlands,but that is not what i am offering,i could even go as far as to bury junk that you can buy over the net and guys could find canteens,helmets,ammo boxes and so on!!!!!!! but what i am offering is the real experience of not knowing what you dig up,that is part of the excitement of going into a field and getting a hit on the metal detector and digging up what lies underneath,so let me say if you are passionate about metal detecting and have a love for WW2 and want to visit were it all happened well then you are welcome.The rest can go to there nearest travel agent and pick up some brochures
NOTE TO ALL I WOULD NOT RECCOMEND THAT ANY ONE PLAY OR PICK UP ANY UNEXPLODED ORDANANCE OF ANY KIND AND I USE GUIDES IN MY FIELD TRIPS WHO GREW UP IN THE AREA AND ARE WELL ACCUSTOMED TO DEALING WITH LIVE MUNITIONS
CESSERE
ORESTE7

Next

Return to 20th Century