Rodent cleanup

Moderator: the_power

Rodent cleanup

Postby sabrewolfe on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Recently i started going through boxes of kit that had been in stoage since we moved house. To my horror I discovered that some of the boxes appeared to have been attacked by mice whilst they were in the storage warehouse. Unfortunately some clothing had to thrown out as it was completely destroyed and chewed to pieces. The rest of the stuff seems to have either been untouched or at worst contaminated. Im wondering if anyone has any advice on how to clean and decontaminate some of the more unusual stuff which im obviously a bit reluctant to use:

Sheepskins (lanolin covered), deerskin (hair still on), boarskin (hair still on) they look visibily fine with no evidece of soiling but id like to be sure.

Leather pouches and belt, definately in a bag that had mice in it at some point.

Metal cauldron, metal fork and metal spoon. Left out in the open in the storage container.

There is also some wooden bowls plates and spoons which I have tenatively soaked in a 10:1 water and household bleach solution for 24 hours followed by a neat hydrogen peroxide solution immersion for 24 hours. Also considering placing in a UV lightbox for 24 hours as a final followup. Again these have no visible contamination but were in a suspect bag.

If anyone has any advice on this id love to hear it. I cant imagine im the first person this has happened too, but its left me uber paranoid about all my kit. :cry:
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Re: Rodent cleanup

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Hey Paul,

UV light is good for killing mold & mildew, but i'm not sure how it will effect the leather and hide articles.

Scott
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Cathal on Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:18 pm

Hi Paul,

the best way to fresh up hair-on skins is to wait for dry weather and lay the skins hairy side down in a meadow or on the lawn. Mother nature in person of millions of micro organisms will do the cleaning job within three days. Sounds unbelievable, but it works. Just try it!
All leather items can be cleaned and sterilized with water containing some vinegar. But don't forget to regrease the leather after cleaning with leather oil or -grease.
Cauldrons, fork and spoon can be easily tempered with a gas flame. If you rub the metal surface with an oily cloth and treat it again with the flame it will be blackend. That's the way we do it usualy - any rust or dirt will be burned to dust.

All the best and good luck with your equipment,
Stefan
...try always to be on the right end of the sword...
Cathal
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stefan Seiler

Postby Nerva on Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:23 am

Salve Stefan,

Some great advice there, Io Saturnalia!

Vale,

Martin.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby sabrewolfe on Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am

Cheers Stefan,
No all i need is a dry day to sort the stuff out
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Return to General Chat