1916 Signatories

From the Crimean War to the Wars in the Gulf. The death of global empires and the rise of a global economy.

Moderator: the_power

1916 Signatories

Postby Cpl Flood on Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 pm

TG4 have done it again & produced another excellent documentary (especially considering their limited budget), this time on the 1916 Proclamation signatories. It was on last night. The uniforms, costumes too seemed right for the re-enactments - at least to my eye.

The first programme was on Thomas Clarke, who signed the proclamation first. It was quite poignant. He spent 15 years in a British jail for attempting to plant a bomb in London. However, a 15 year sentence back then was quite different to now. It was effectively solitary confinement with regular beatings,sleep deprivation and other tortures. It was only his strong mental state that prevented him going insane (just).

One thing he was determined not to do after the Rising was go back to prison. Execution was an easier avenue as far as he was concerned.

The second programme is on next Wed. It's about Sean MacDiarmada I think. The programme starts at 10:25 (pm) and is an hour long. Well worth a look at.
Fág an Ballaigh
Cpl Flood
Full Name: Andrew Flood

Re: 1916 Signatories

Postby tommyargue on Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:40 am

I agree entirely Andy. An excellent show, Abú media are forging ahead in this field. Their documentary ( mobs Meiricá) last year only narrowly lost the best documentary gong to "Bertie" at last years I.F.T. awards. I wish them the best of luck this time round..... ( take a look at the credits next wednesday Andy..... I'm in there somewhere... hehehe)
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby Cpl Flood on Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:34 pm

Fair play...I'll keep an eye out for your name.
Fág an Ballaigh
Cpl Flood
Full Name: Andrew Flood

Postby Swifty on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:54 pm

Just saw the James Connolly episode - very impressed - excellent visuals and actors, all round quality production - fair play to Abú Media and the LH people who supported this project - looking forward to the Joseph Plunkett episode already!
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Return to 20th Century