Leine

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Re: Leine

Postby the_power on Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:50 pm

Unless they were considered 'English' style, in which case their use would be restricted.
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Fahey on Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:51 am

i am looking for a little input. i have been making leine sleeves in the style of the way a modern shirt is, wear the seam of the sleeve runs under the arm. i have recently seem some that someone made online that was the opposite. were the sleeve seam ran down the arm on top fallowing the shoulder seam.
is one way more authentic? or hangs better?
i have also seem wrist cuffs on some? some as close fitting as a modern shirt cuff and some more wide but to me the wrist cuff looks out of place .
Fahey
Full Name: Geremy Gulino

Postby finnobreanan on Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:29 pm

Fahey wrote:i am looking for a little input. i have been making leine sleeves in the style of the way a modern shirt is, wear the seam of the sleeve runs under the arm. i have recently seem some that someone made online that was the opposite. were the sleeve seam ran down the arm on top fallowing the shoulder seam.
is one way more authentic? or hangs better?
i have also seem wrist cuffs on some? some as close fitting as a modern shirt cuff and some more wide but to me the wrist cuff looks out of place .

Unless these features can be documented in illustrations, I would stay away from these alterations. I have never seen this.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby brendan on Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:47 pm

I have never seen a garment with the seam following the shoulder seam in any time period - it sounds like the sewed the sleeves on upside down. The norm is in line with the side seam for squarer/looser cut or on the center back of the arm for later, more tailored items.

I would stay away from cuffs...I think that in general they are later and probably a good bit later. I would have to check.

Obviously styles differ but both of these sound wrong

And just be glad that you asked first before making! :) There are times that I should have done that :(
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Previous

Return to Late Medieval