So I'm building my kit... need some input

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Re: So I'm building my kit... need some input

Postby brendan on Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:11 am

2 gores was normal enough, but 3 and four gores were not uncommon - especially in later periods. For instance C11 Norman definitely had 4 gores.
By underarm gores I presume you mean Gussets? They are little shapes used to allow tighter fitting sleeves (hence saving fabric). No provenance but generally accepted.
Trimmings were there but not necessarily in the form that we use them in reenactment: Tablet weave is generally used for Viking/Early Norman etc. However, for substantial amounts of that time it would have been embroidery rather than tablet weave. The tablet weave is a means of showing the decoration rather than saying that it was always used. Of course I am not saying that tablet weave was never used.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:28 am

Thanks Brendan. And yes I mean the gussets. I guess the people I talk to use the term gore and gusset interchangeably. Figured gore sounded like the more masculine of the two. :D

I did snap a few pics of my garb for the sake of reference. Let me preamble that by saying that I do realize that the side gores extend way to high (they meet the underarm gore), but I feared I had cut the body too narrow so I compensated for it by lengthening the side gores.

Closeups of the side and underarm gores.

Currently comes to 2" below my knee and is not yet hemmed. Also going to make the sleeves a bit tighter before they get hemmed.

Well... I hope this isn't bad for a first effort at something not generic.
Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh
Full Name: Shawn O'Hara

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:09 am

There's nothing wrong with the gores going all the way up to the arm gussets. Seems to be more popular later though. Of a higher status I'd say. Will be useful if you suddenly fill out as well :P

I'd also say narrow arms are a fashion thing than a saving fabric thing. You also had to get your arms into many layers to show them off so starting narrow stops bulking up round the elbow joint.

The tablet weaving was used later on, Shakespeare refers to it as inkle, hence the modern loom picking up the name. It was a ladies hand craft.
http://mediaephile.com/forum/cgi-bin/ya ... 1212737464
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh on Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:36 pm

Well, it's done. Finished up the hems and it looks pretty good for someone who doesn't sew. :lol: I'll post pics later. It's longer than I thought, still knee length but looks good. And you were right John, pulling it up at tucking it into my belt looks pretty good, so I wont ever worry about length again.

I also forgot something in my list. The belt. I've got a stylized two ring belt that I use to good effect for keeping stuff where it belongs. It hardly ever comes loose. But I know its not period. I found a picture somewhere of what I think is a simple bronze buckle/fastener. "Center bar" by the look of it. How accurate is that for this time?
Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh

Postby leoghan on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:22 pm

looks good , got any more done?
leoghan

Postby Alienor on Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:45 am

If you need some patterns, you should buy this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medieval-Tailor ... 507&sr=8-2

Is your cote handsewn?

Trousers weren't worn in the 13th century, you should get some long-legged braies and hose.
Alienor
Full Name: Ursula Becker

Postby Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh on Sat May 23, 2009 7:57 pm

Wow, I've been away for a while now, haven't I. It amazes me how much some things change in such a short time. I've sort of abandoned the 13th century in favor of a loose portrayal of someone in the Battle of Clontarf.

Alienor, most of my garment's are machine sewn simply to save time and get it done. There are a few spots that I ended up sewing by hand that I can't get the machine to work well enough for my liking. Mostly the neckline. Leoghan, I do have another one finished. I made it slightly smaller and more form fitting so as to be an under garment. This one is a nice rust color. (I guess I'm a pretty well-to-do Irishman.) I'll have to get my camera out and get pictures. I plan on wearing both of them tomorrow at our kingdom's Crown Tournament. I should have some good pictures in a couple days.
Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh

Postby Ronseal on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:00 pm

Hmmmm he looks cute in yellow hmmmmm :mrgreen:
Stone sir?
No they've got the lot there, lying around on the ground!
Ronseal
Full Name: Mark Corcoran

Previous

Return to Late Medieval