Medieval irish helmets

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Re: Medieval irish helmets

Postby kevin714 on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:45 am

Swifty wrote:And, btw, there is no known archaeological context for such a helmet in the Irish context at least and if there is in Britain, I for one, am unaware of it.

Swifty,
It appears that you know the author, do you have someway to contact him and ask him what he based it on? Would he use a picture of a highlander to depict an Irish warrior? Maybe you have his email? I for one would sure like to know where it came from.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby Swifty on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:53 am

kevin714 wrote:
Swifty wrote:And, btw, there is no known archaeological context for such a helmet in the Irish context at least and if there is in Britain, I for one, am unaware of it.

Swifty,
It appears that you know the author, do you have someway to contact him and ask him what he based it on? Would he use a picture of a highlander to depict an Irish warrior? Maybe you have his email? I for one would sure like to know where it came from.

Fergus Cannan is the author but I'm not in a position to distribute his contact details to third parties I'm afraid. Besides it is wholly unnecessary as it is an Osprey plate (depicting Knockdoe 1504 in this particular case) and as such there will be a full plate description at the back of the book as always. However I wouldn't be at all surprised if is based on the 1562 French woodcut I posted above though - the Victorian plate no doubt took some inspiration from that also.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Just went to amazon.com, and Galloglass 1250-1600: Gaelic Mercenary Warrior is to be released on March 23. I just pre-ordered my copy. Speaking of Gallowglass, my cotun is finished and I just need to sew on the cloth ties.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby finnobreanan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:59 am

finnobreanan wrote:I wonder what Seán Ó Brógáin based the illustration of the Irishman at right on. Is there a surviving example of this helmet? Is their a contemporary illustration that depicts one? Did he base it on the Victorian representation (they almost look identical)? It would not be the first time that an Osprey artist got things wrong.

So, now I have the new book on Gallowglass, and I see where the heardress/helmet comes from: a tomb art and a depiction from a map illustration...so, it is documented. I'll be damned (I wasn't wrong, I just questioned the source)! I love this new book and am only just getting into it!
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby Celtchar on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:14 am

"Miniature of MacMorogh, the Irish chieftian, coming to confer with the Earl of Gloucester. "

http://www.bl.uk/catalogues/illuminated ... llID=34389

"Effigy of a mail-clad warrior at Glinsk, County Galway, late 15th century."

Galloglass and Scottish noblemen wore bascinet helmets like the one above in the late 14th or early 15th centuries.

More effigies

The O'Cahan tomb.

http://ulsterman3.tripod.com/Tomb_Dungiven.htm
Celtchar
Full Name: Riley Hogan

Postby Celtchar on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:20 am

Can I post images from Osprey's galloglass book on here?
Celtchar

Postby Conn Cullach on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:05 am

Dear Dave Swift,

Where'd you get that lovely hat? Please tell me you got it from someone who can make another.
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
Academia Duellatoria student
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach
Full Name: Chris Cottrell

Postby finnobreanan on Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:04 pm

Celtchar wrote:Can I post images from Osprey's galloglass book on here?

Technically, the images in the book are copyright protected, but I've been guilty of posting images from books here and so far the moderators haven't slapped my wrists.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby Conn Cullach on Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:39 pm

Considering the nature of the use of those images (a primarily educational forum) and the fact that they are being adequately cited, posting the images likely falls under the auspices of the fair use clause of copyright law (US, that is). If money is being made by the moderators of a forum, then there may be a legal issue using the copyrighted material (official permission or licensing would be necessary).
yrs,

Chris Cottrell, MFA
Academia Duellatoria student
aka Conn Cullach
Conn Cullach
Full Name: Chris Cottrell

Postby Celtchar on Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:39 am

Celtchar

PreviousNext

Return to Late Medieval