Medieval irish helmets

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Re: Medieval irish helmets

Postby Swifty on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:43 pm

[quote="Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh";Imported? I think of such extravagant styles as Italo-Norman and Rus style conical. Can you elaborate on what you mean by imported?[/quote]
Something like Plate F in 'The Normans' Osprey Elite No. 9. Ala Lewis chessmen. A bit old but far better than being a bit new.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:22 pm

Interesting. I would have figured those styles of helmets would have been, for the most part, gone from Ireland by 1290. But I guess it makes sense that the similar style would have still continued on.

So would something like this is appropriate for a 1290 persona?
Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh
Full Name: Shawn O'Hara

Postby the_power on Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:20 am

The cheek pieces seem excessive, but if you have to deal with the safety aspect, it's not a bad choice at all.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Swifty on Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 pm

[quote="Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh"; this is appropriate for a 1290 persona?[/quote]
I don't see why not - that helmet bears a reasonable likeness to the Lewis-type helmets. Yes it could be argued that it is a little anachronistic, but anachronistic in the right direction - backwards. Various secondary sources on the Battle of Bannockburn (1314) written by respected scholars in the genre depict Islesmen in similar conical/nasal helmets - so Irish wearing same in 1290 is not so problematic. Some sort of kettle-helmet could be another option - but I prefer the nasal, more character - and the source is Gaelic. I think it would look better if you aged it down to a burnished/blackened finish. Btw SCA face-guards... bleurrghhhh!! Hey - just my opinion, nobody listens to me anyway ; )
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh on Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:05 am

Well, at least I can plausibly go with my second favorite type of helm. And I was so hoping to kill an Englishman and take his sugarloaf... And I wouldn't have to worry about "those ugly SCA faceguards" with a great helm. ;) The "Heroic Age"-ers will never let me live it down if I wear a Norman.

But I digress. Is there any evidence, either in manuscript or pictorial for the wearing of an aventail or camail with any type of helm? Something like this. Anachronistic as hell, but helms and maille just look sweet together.

As an aside, can you tell me those sources you mentioned, Swifty? I doubt I can actually find anything resembling a copy of them here in the states, but I've been known to get lucky...
Maghnus Ó Sionnaigh
Full Name: Shawn O'Hara

Postby kevin714 on Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:03 am

What are opinions on this helmet depicting those described for 14th century Irish wearing "round iron helmets similiar to the saracens". Its being sold on a website called I love swords.com.
Attachments
thm_Viking_Helm204.jpg
thm_Viking_Helm204.jpg (9.19 KiB) Viewed 16653 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby the_power on Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:34 pm

It certainly doesn't look much 'viking'. I'd categorise it as 'inoffensive' - little more than a skullcap. If someone turned up at my 14thC gig wearing it, I'd say "looks safe", rather than "wow, that looks perfect for 14thC Ireland". Depends how you want to do it - are you happy with "could be right" ? I'm afraid thats all you can do for 14thC Ireland - we don't have depictions of many troops, and when we do, they are just in hoods, not helmets. That said..that helm would fit neatly inside a hood.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Dave Mooney on Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:50 am

What about the point? seems to have a point in that pic. Does that date it at all?
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby brendan on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:12 am

I think that the points are fairly common in middle east helms for most time periods (open to correction).
So, if the aim is to look somewhat middle eastern then OK.

Of course, by saying that the Irish dress like Saracens it is implying that they are a bunch of heathen savages that need to be subdued and civilized by their betters (and helps justify the crusades into Connaught)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby kevin714 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:47 pm

The quote about the saracens was made by a spanish visitor to the O'Neills in Ulster in 1396 so I don't think it was as biased as you think.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

PreviousNext

Return to Late Medieval