Gallowglass Origins

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Re: Gallowglass Origins

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:55 pm

jaspergreen wrote:Finn,

I am sorry to hear about your blacksmith. I'd like to suggest you check out the two Galloglass axes offered by Nick Johnson in the UK, as described on his "Knives by Nick" website. One is a version of the Hebridean war axe, the other based upon the clonteevy axe.

jeff

Thanks Jeff, I will be contacting them very soon!
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby kevin714 on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:20 pm

I received my copy of the new galloglass book from Osprey today.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby the_power on Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 pm

Bah. I just ordered mine :)

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby finnobreanan on Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:49 pm

Got the Osprey book on Gallowglass in the mail yesterday and the art work is great! I'll start reading it today and put aside the book I was reading on John Mitchell.

I also ordered an axe from Nick Johnson, very nice stuff he makes!
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:13 pm

I just finished the new Osprey book on Gallowglass and I can't recommend this book highly enough. The author has exhausted every source of information possible on Gallowglass and I found new information that I had not seen anywhere else. Many of the illustrations are the same as in other publications, but there are some new ones also, which I was unfamiliar with. The author also writes in a very lively manner and takes the reader through what life would have been like for the average Gallowglass. I had trouble putting the book down, once I started reading. O'Brogain's artwork is great and the most authentic I have ever seen. I would have preferred to see footnotes, but the author was very good about quoting his sources within the text.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:26 pm

It is a rather lovely book. Much better than the "Irish Wars" Osprey book.

Though I can't help thinking I need to make myself a new acton. A nice dark red one, as some of the illustrations mention. I have a leather one today, but it's a) not something I can wear under my gorgeous mail, b) not something you'd wear socially, which the author seems to make a case for, given the number of people who moaned about gallowglass going shopping etc. in acton + weaponry.

john
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby jaspergreen on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:56 am

Hello to all;

I was wondering if I could prevail upon you guys for help on a couple of points, pertaining to the subject of the galloglach axe. Firstly, can anyone enlighten me on the archetype for the now-discontinued Albion "Hebridean War Axe?" I have heard several things, that it is modelled upon axe from Ballina, Co. Mayo, or.... the Donegal axe in the NMI.

Secondly, I am desperate to obtain copies of Hayes-McCoy's and Mahr's articles on the Galloglach Axe. I cannot access JSTOR; and I have given up after several aplications to the JGAHS website attempting to obtain the Hayes-McCoy article.

CAn anyone help me? I would be more than happy to provide reimbursement for any and all expenses.

Thanks,

jeff
Sean Artuir O'Maollain
(My Great - Grandad)
jaspergreen
Full Name: Jeff Miller

Postby finnobreanan on Mon May 24, 2010 11:16 pm

jaspergreen wrote:Finn,

I am sorry to hear about your blacksmith. I'd like to suggest you check out the two Galloglass axes offered by Nick Johnson in the UK, as described on his "Knives by Nick" website. One is a version of the Hebridean war axe, the other based upon the clonteevy axe.

jeff

Well, I ordered my axe from Nick back in March, and he seems to be having problems. Here's the last message I got from him. Can anyone help? I just sent him Hayes-McCoy's article and another one. Funny thing is, he told me he has made several of these and he also has them listed on his website.

"Hi Scott,
I have been trying to find out some info from Museum of Ireland but nothing yet I also got a copy of Fergus Cannan's
Galloglass 1250-1600 hoping there might have been some info, interesting book but not what I wanted.
The main things I am after is the size of the eye and if it's parralell or if it tapers and also some idea of the weight.
Any info would be handy as I like to try and get things as authentic as I can which is sometimes not that easy with
the limited amount available.

Regards Nick."
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

Postby jaspergreen on Wed May 26, 2010 3:38 am

Scott;

Nick posed essentially the same question to me before completing my order. I ordered his axe which is very similar to a non-ornamented Clonteevy axe. The best I could do was inform him that my information on the Donegal axe was that the eye walls are parallel...i.e. they do not taper. My Albion "Hebridean War Axe" has such a non-tapered eye socket. Despite information put out by Albion back when this axe was available, their product was much closer in form to the Donegal axe than the Ballina axe.

jeff
Sean Artuir O'Maollain
(My Great - Grandad)
jaspergreen
Full Name: Jeff Miller

Postby finnobreanan on Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:45 am

So, I finally finished my Gallowglass impression. Here are the images (Where's my G'Dam Axe!)
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

finnobreanan
Active Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Late Medieval