Limerick Scian

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Limerick Scian

Postby kevin714 on Thu May 12, 2011 2:54 am

Does anyone have any higher resolution pictures of the grip on this scian? Its in the Limerick city museum, if anyone has any stats or info on it I would appreciate it, like blade length and overall length etc.
Attachments
19860027.jpg
Limerick Scian
19860027.jpg (229.32 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Re: Limerick Scian

Postby Stephen Curtin on Fri May 13, 2011 8:23 pm

Hey Kev, I'm living near enough to the museum so I'll see what I can do, but I'll have to wait untill I can get hold of a digital camera first, so don't be surprised if it takes a while. It's a nice scian alright I was thinking of having a repro made myself, so I was going to see if I could convince someone at the museum to let me examine it for myself anyway.
Stephen Curtin
Active Newbie
Full Name: Stephen Curtin

Re: Limerick Scian

Postby kevin714 on Sat May 14, 2011 1:24 am

Stephen Curtin wrote:Hey Kev, I'm living near enough to the museum so I'll see what I can do, but I'll have to wait untill I can get hold of a digital camera first, so don't be surprised if it takes a while. It's a nice scian alright I was thinking of having a repro made myself, so I was going to see if I could convince someone at the museum to let me examine it for myself anyway.

I'd appreciate the effort and any info you can get. Yep I'm probably going to have a reproduction made eventually, money's a little tight right now so it may be awhile. When I look at the art work I see a swirl pattern on the handle's of the scians, I think it is an attempt to duplicate this type of handle and is another feature unique to the Irish and their weapons like the ring hilt. Just speculation and I may be way off but what do you think?

The scians I am talking about are in these images by Derrick;
http://www.lib.ed.ac.uk/about/bgallery/ ... eland.html
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Return to Late Medieval