Medieval Irish Knight, XIII-XIV century

Castles, Heavy Cavalry, Cities, Armour and Invention

Moderator: the_power

Medieval Irish Knight, XIII-XIV century

Postby Scipio on Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 pm

Hello!

I'm an Italian reenactor, and I'd like to reenact a medieval Irish knight, and I need informations about armour, weapons and clothes of a medieval knight in the period 1280-1310 AD.
I talk about native Irish, not Normans or Anglo-Normans or things like these, and I'm interested particularly in the region around Cork, the ancient Kingdom of Desmond, and the MacCarthy family.
I'll be very glad if you could share some infos with me, 'cause i've no sources at all about medieval Ireland!

Thank you very much,
Scipio
Scipio
Full Name: Lorenzo Scipioni

Re: Medieval Irish Knight, XIII-XIV century

Postby brendan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:10 am

The term Knight is a problem here.
The system of Knighthood was as a result of conquest. Sure there were Knights here, but they followed the English model an were very much part of the establishment. The Knightly military orders (Templars, Hospitallers) were active here, but did not dress like locals

Are you looking to depict a typical non-conqueror irish warrior of a status similar to Knights or something else?

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Scipio on Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:30 am

brendan wrote:depict a typical non-conqueror irish warrior of a status similar to Knights

Thank you Brendan for your reply!

Your idea is pretty good, though I don't know how native Irish were organized, talking about ''status''.
I've read something in Brehon' Law, but I found only something like ''son of a King of Erin'', and ''inferior classes'' or ''lowest classes''.
Scipio

Postby brendan on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:51 am

If you are looking for relative status I put together a list a while back - I need to review and update it, but it is here: http://brendangrif.googlepages.com/brehonlawandstatus
The essential thing about the time period you are looking at is that the Gaelic resurgence was under way and the colonies were under pressure (How is that for a 1 line generalization about 30 years of history!)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Scipio on Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:43 pm

THank you very much, the link was useful! Have you something similar about clothes and armour?
Scipio

Postby wolfvine on Sat Oct 17, 2009 10:57 am

Greetings my friends.

Hi Scipio, My name is Wolfvine and I am a knights Templar based in Newcastle West which was home to the Earls of Desmond. If I can be of any help please let me know.

May words speak only truth.
Sean shields
wolfvine
Active Newbie
Full Name: Sean Shields

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm

I found an interesting website that discusses this topic, so I thought I would resurrect this thread and share the link:
http://www.dalcassiansept.com/culture/article-two.htm
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Late Medieval