Irish Leather Helmet MK4

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Re: Irish Leather Helmet MK4

Postby kevin714 on Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:56 am

Does anyone have this Osprey book on the Moors? I know Osprey is not consdered the best source but the time period it covers is perfect and it may be very helpful. The cover shows a round iron helmet with nasal piece on the right( I am unable to enlarge it.). Also I have attached a picture of some Turks who probably would fall into the broad brush of "Saracen "for that time, it says 13th century and they have the nasal piece.
moors.jpg
moors.jpg (5.15 KiB) Viewed 9446 times
Attachments
turks2.jpg
turks2.jpg (132.78 KiB) Viewed 9449 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:04 pm

Derrick's Image of Ireland shows both a full steel helmet and a leather helmet with steel reenforcing bands. As always, you decide how accurate Derrick's illustrator was.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:45 pm

Why do you conclude that the helmets with steel bands are leather? This is subject to much speculation. I believe that it is steel of some configuration or design just like many other spangenhelm type helmets. I am curious to know if you have any other references that would prove it was leather? Thanks.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:55 pm

If you look at the Turk Horse archer #2 above in the picture it has designs in the steel between the bands. The #3 picture of the heavy cavalrymen also has designs in the steel. Derrick could have been trying to depict some type of design in the helmet also.
The turk horse archer helmet looks alot like the ones being worn by the irish in the strongbow painting minus the chainmail attached.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby kevin714 on Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:57 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about the helmet this fellow is wearing? Do you think it has any relation to the ones depicted in the Derrick images?
Attachments
warriors.jpg
16th century Irish
warriors.jpg (28.01 KiB) Viewed 9315 times
Kevin Patrick Molloy
kevin714
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 pm

I have often thought there were similarities in the construction of the helmets in this print by Lucas DeHeare (sp) and the helmets depicted in Derricke's prints. DeHerare also shows a similar helmet being worn by a woman.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby nathan on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:26 pm

does anyone know where to go for custom made helmets of all sorts from plain leather up to more extravagant models???
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:29 pm

I'd taken notice of this before for leather helmets: http://www.theinnerbailey.com/helmsetcspangenhelm.htm

Can anyone comment? Is it just a pile of rubbish or is it decent? I've no idea.
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby Seathrun on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:03 am

I have not seen evidence at least for the West Vikings of scale. Late Roman maybe but not by the time those Danes were visiting.
Seth
http://www.ravensborg.org/
Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie
Full Name: Seathrun (Seth)

Postby the_power on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:02 am

Seathrun wrote:I have not seen evidence at least for the West Vikings of scale. Late Roman maybe but not by the time those Danes were visiting.
Seth

There was a mention of the Danes attacking Dublin in 1172 dressed in "shirts of pieces of iron, cunningly made", in the Expugnatio Hibernica. I forget the latin, I must go looking for it again. Sounds like scale to me, but it's not really 'viking' anymore. Oh for a searchable copy of that book.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

PreviousNext

Return to Early-Medieval