Irish Leather Helmet MK4

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Re: Irish Leather Helmet MK4

Postby the_power on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:09 am

claimhteoir wrote:I'd taken notice of this before for leather helmets: http://www.theinnerbailey.com/helmsetcspangenhelm.htm

Can anyone comment? Is it just a pile of rubbish or is it decent? I've no idea.

Dead ropey. Leather scale seems wrong to me for many reasons; both the helmet and the cuirass seem to be apes of metal armour, in leather to make it look 'of an early period'. You can take queues from the fact that it's painted leather, and worse yet, jet black leather.

In my earlier days as a leatherworker, I did make black leather gauntlets mocked from 15thC plate, and leather helmets that were mocks of 13thC round-top helms, held together with pop rivets. Some more recent stuff; http://picasaweb.google.com/john.looney ... 7712337714

Oh, I did get some sheet steel recently. I'm gonna cut it into 'shields' and cover leather parts of the helmet that started this thread off, finally reaching an approximation of the drawings we have for the 1399 and Durer helmets.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Seathrun on Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:19 am

oooh I would be interested in that. It could also be lamilar. Finds of that do exist in Sweden all the way up to Visby in the 1300s
Seth
http://www.ravensborg.org/
Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie
Full Name: Seathrun (Seth)

Postby Matt on Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:25 am

On the subject of Lamellar armour, is there any provenance for the use of leather lam in a Scandinavian context. As far as I am aware (and I am open to being informed otherwise) the majority of finds from the early medieval period are from the Birka garrison, and have all been of steel plating, and have all been very rarely connected, but rather in pre-constructed state.

I am aware that the Varangian Guard employed the use of steel lam over a mail byrnie, but this was the standard issue for the Byzantine Emperor, and still there are no finds that I know of in either a Norwegian or Danish context. This isn't surprising given that Lamelllar armour is traditionally associated with the Rus, who's ethnic origins were Svear.

So, returning to the original question, I have seen a lot of our Slavic brethren with leather lam, is there any finds (specifically early medieval) which support this particular style/form of lamellar?

(Edited due to bad grammar)
Matt Ferris - Odin's Einherjare
Matt
Full Name: Matt ferris

Postby nodales44 on Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:06 pm

I like your knee piece. Where can we buy that?
Last edited by nodales44 on Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nodales44
Full Name: Samuel Donovans

Postby the_power on Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:44 am

I never really thought about making them for sale, sorry. But it's really not that hard to make.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Previous

Return to Early-Medieval