Cooking Techniques, Cooking Utensils & Smoking Food?

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Re: Cooking Techniques, Cooking Utensils & Smoking Food?

Postby Andrea L Redden on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:34 am

Dave Mooney wrote:Clare Library have 4 copies on there system. Do you need to own it?

ALWAYS! :D

Yours,

Andrea L. Willett
Bookaholics Anonymous
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby wiblick on Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:35 am

Yup, always have to own a book, could be months before I get around to reading it, has to be MINE and I annotate.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby Andrea L Redden on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:16 am

Dave Mooney wrote:Early Irish Farming refers to the law tracts as listing bread making equipment such as kneading-trough (losat), kneading-slab (lecc), griddle (lann) and griddle-turner (lainnéne). There is plenty on milk, bread making and other cooking including spit and roasting in Early Irish Farming. Gives methods and measurements also.

Ooooooo, it arrived, it arrived. Good book. Thanks for the reference.

Andrea

Postby claimhteoir on Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:16 am

Andrea L Willett wrote:Hello All!

I’m posting this to both the Early Medieval and General Chat forums for the widest response.

What evidence is left for cooking techniques & utensils from Ireland (possibly Wales, Scotland and England as well) before the Normans, i.e. Manuscript marginal illustrations, written references from pre-Norman copies of Annals and other books, surviving utensils & cookingware? Not interested in fulachta fiadha.

I’m�ter both native Irish stuff and Viking. Is there evidence, for example, for ovens?

Also, are here any references to smoking or smoked food?

Any references appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrea Willett
N.V.G. Dubh-linnh/quote]

Okay, well as for native Irish, a cauldron over a fire springs to mind in the fringe of a margin. Think it might be that famous Giraldus' depiction of a donkey being axed at a chieftain inauguration ceremony. Let's see if I can find it... http://www.isos.dias.ie/english/index2.html It's in the NLI collection... MS 700 f. [39] v (Thanks to John's post in the axes thread!)

Then, as has been mentioned, the Viking exhibition in Kildare st has some stuff. A quern stone for grinding grain springs to mind.

Other than that, check out Early Irish Farming.
claimhteoir
Active Newbie
Full Name: None Set

Postby Freebeard on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:04 pm

That Munster Archaeology book is available second-hand in Vibes and Scribes on Bridge Street in Cork, for i think either 20euro, or 30euro...i can't quite remember...it is the only one available in Cork.
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby Kirst on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:45 pm

Freebeard wrote:it is the only one available in Cork.

Only if you rule out stealing from the Boole or Mick and John's offices :)

It might also be possible to get it through inter-library loan from UCC, and photocopy the whole thing.
Kirst

Postby Andrea L Redden on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:36 am

claimhteoir wrote:Okay, well as for native Irish, a cauldron over a fire springs to mind in the fringe of a margin. Think it might be that famous Giraldus' depiction of a donkey being axed at a chieftain inauguration ceremony. Let's see if I can find it... http://www.isos.dias.ie/english/index2.html It's in the NLI collection... MS 700 f. [39] v (Thanks to John's post in the axes thread!)

Downloaded it, thanks. Are there any extant examples that you know of?

claimhteoir wrote:Then, as has been mentioned, the Viking exhibition in Kildare st has some stuff. A quern stone for grinding grain springs to mind.

From what I've read the native Irish had converted from home based quern stones to centrally located vertical and horizontal water mills well before 1000AD. I suppose there might have been some discovered in the Dublin excavations but given that the books published so far have been on such narrow, specific subjects I despair of them ever being published. I'm in Australia, 17,000kms away, so a visit to the NMI is a bit more than a day trip :(

claimhteoir wrote:Other than that, check out Early Irish Farming.

Got that. "Cooking methods and utensils" takes up about a page and isn't very detailed.

Thanks,

Andrea

Postby Andrea L Redden on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:46 am

Freebeard wrote:That Munster Archaeology book is available second-hand in Vibes and Scribes on Bridge Street in Cork, for i think either 20euro, or 30euro...i can't quite remember...it is the only one available in Cork.

My Christmas present to myself. :D

I don't think I can agree with Regina Sexton in the "Cereal Foodstuffs" article about ".....the absence of an oven is easily overcome. The griddle or baking flag can readily be transformed into a small-scale domestic oven by placing an inverted clay pot over the prepared dough." Ireland, if I understand the evidence correctly, was an aceramic society at the time. I haven't seen any published evidence of imports of the size and shape to be used for a Roman-style testa over a 30cm loaf 10cm thick. You do need some sort of oven to do loaves of leavened bread. Could there have been community bakers doing the leaved bread like there were community based water mills, and the un-leavened bread was made at home?

Andrea who bakes her own bread

Postby tri on Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:33 am

The most complete account of cooking (and all other domestic equipment) is to be found in Eoin Mac Neills 1923 translation of the Crith Gablach (Law of status and franchise). It basically (among many, many other things!) lists the expected contents of houses according to the status of those who lived there. As with all legal texts there is a healthy does of idealism - this is how things should be, not how things are - but what's relevant here is the insight it gives into domestic equipment.

The translation is published in the Proceedings of the Royal Irish Academy, Section C (1923) - can't remember exact reference off the top of my head but if you have any of Fergus Kellys books, it'll be in his bibliography.

Given that you're in Australia I'm sure how easy it'll be to find so if you need a summary of the contents just let me know!
Tríona
tri
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:45 am

Crith Gablach is on-line somewhere, I know I was reading it a few months ago.

They would have needed TARDIS technology to have fit all that stuff in their gaffs in fairness.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

PreviousNext

Return to Early-Medieval