Textiles from Dublin circa 1000AD?

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Textiles from Dublin circa 1000AD?

Postby Andrea L Redden on Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:14 pm

'Tis said on page 1 of Elizabeth Heckett's 'Viking Age Headcoverings from Dublin' that c.2000 textiles were recovered from the Dublin Excavations. Unfortunately there has not, as yet, been any definitive book published on the bulk of these textiles. :( Does anybody have any inside information on what the circa 1000AD ones were like? Spin direction? Threads per centimetre? Weave? Source (what breed of sheep, fine, kempy, etc.)? Natural colour? Dyes? Loom width? Selvedges? Finishes?

I'd like to make myself a new outfit for Clontarf. I've found this website http://www.time-warp-textiles.co.uk/textiles.htm , which has many tempting offerings, but I don't know if any of them are close. I remember reading SOMEWHERE that most of the wools were tabby, like most linens, but can't remember where or even if that is correct.

Help?

Andrea from Australia
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Re: Textiles from Dublin circa 1000AD?

Postby oleg on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:35 pm

Hi,

There is a stand at the NMI with examples of silks and wool from Dublin called "dress from viking age excavations".
Silks: different nets, tabby, weft faced compound twill.
Wool: chevron twill, lozenge twill, broken lozenge twill.

So you can safely use some of more complex textiles for Dublin if you go for wealthy character. However, according to the Heckett's publication on textiles from DPF, tabby was dominant in 9th-10th centuries. On continent twill occurs more frequently. If you go for higher status - you may get twill and dye it with madder or woad. Threads per cm - 10/10 to 10/30.

PS: Getting a copy of DPF excavations report may be a good chance to hear from Heckett on DPF textiles compared to other Irish textiles. Little info about Dublin, but quite helpful.
http://www.bran-deas.kiev.ua
Bran-Deas - group, focused on Ireland(IX-XI) located in Kiev, Ukraine.
Goddammit, sign up for free!
oleg
Active Newbie
Full Name: Oleg Shevtoff

Return to Early-Medieval