Irish Shaggy Mantle

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Re: Irish Shaggy Mantle

Postby Andrea L Redden on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:14 pm

vlasta wrote:As mentioned in both of them articles, remains of pile weave were found in Iceland – and shaggy cloaks were described in the Icelandic law code known as Grágás (12th century). As a product being traded abroad, they had standarised size “four thumb-ells long and two broad” (160x80cm), and 'could be undyed grey, white or black, or dyed red and blue; they could be plain or striped, and could be decorated with bands.' (Info after Thor Ewing Viking Clothing)

Just found the original article on the Icelandic pile fabrics on the web. Unfortunately it's 60 pages worth @ 1 PDF per page. Decent amount of pictures and drawings, main text in Icelandic, good English summary at the end.

http://timarit.is/view_page_init.jsp?pageId=2051870

OK. I've downloaded it and converted it into a single 11.7Mb PDF. If anybody wants it emailed, PM me your email address. I've also done a second PDF version with just the English summary and most relevant figures which is just 3.5Mb for those who have a problem with large files.

Andrea from Oz
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Re: Irish Shaggy Mantle

Postby Andrea L Redden on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:53 am

Andrea L Redden wrote:http://www.mostlymanx.com/artisans_profile_103131.html

Whoo-HOO!!!Have asked for a price. Will pass it on when I know.

Andrea

The cloak that Eric on the Isle of Man wove for the Manx Museum is made with looped pile, not 'shaggy' like the original written, pictorial and surviving references. He's not interested in weaving 'shaggy' pile fabrics. :-(

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Previous

Return to Early-Medieval