Irish Warrior

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Re: Irish Warrior

Postby kevin714 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:19 pm

I did notice the discrepancies that you did Scott but I think you missed the premise of the thesis. It is that the Irish wore "organic" amour not chainmail or metal armour like the normans did. His point was that they wore leather or linen armour not that he did a great job proving that either and lacked details as I said. I would like to see more research done on this use of organic armour it may change how we think an Irish warrior looked at that time, that was my point.

I just like anything that disagrees with Gerald of Wales and the whole propaganda and school of thought that we were somehow primitive and inferior to the Normans. I just never understood how a people who held off and defeated at various times two of the greatest military forces in history, first the Vikings and then the Normans for HUNDREDS of years is considered militarily inferior or primitive by anyone. It just never makes sense to me except to believe there is still some kind of bias going on. There should be volumes of books and tons of studies on this elite military culture who could accomplish these things for so long when no one else could. Yet Osprey won't even do a decent book on any of it. Anglo-Saxon England was completely crushed by the Vikings(Danelaw anyone?) and the Normans but no one considers them primitive or inferior militarily. I'll get off the soapbox now but am I wrong or does anyone see what I'm talking about?

(Yes the initial success of Strongbow and company does seem strange but that's why I believe there had to be more to it(and possibly suppressed successes by the Irish especially when they ventured inland). He also defeated the Vikings of Dublin but no one says they were primitive and fought naked).

PS: Scott can you scan and email me copies of the Chapter on Native Irish Arms when you get the Halpin Book on Viking Dublin?
Last edited by kevin714 on Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Patrick Molloy
"The Prince of Firceall of the ancient sword is O'Molloy of the freeborn name, full power was granted to him and he held his country uncontrolled" O'Dugain(d.1372 AD)
kevin714
Active Newbie
Full Name: Kevin Molloy

Postby finnobreanan on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:21 pm

I can sure do that for you.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby templarcommander on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:30 pm

Excellently put Kevin,

About time too.
Kindest Regards,
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam..
Cornelius
templarcommander
Active Newbie

Previous

Return to Early-Medieval