Norwegian Viking ship seeking crew and volunteers

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Norwegian Viking ship seeking crew and volunteers

Postby tri on Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:08 am

Hi folks,

I haven't been on the website for a while so apologies if this has gone up already. Anyway!

A project called 'Viking Kings' in currently underway in Haugesund, Norway, where they are constructing the worlds biggest longship. The objective of the project is to essentially create a floating museum of the Viking Age. Their goal is to outfiit and equip the ship and crew with replica kit and reconstructed tools/weapons so that when they arrive in port, it looks as close as possible to an authentic Viking ship and crew - presumably minus the pillaging before some wiseguy throws that in there...

They are in the process of organising the Fellowship of the Viking Dragon which will include everyone from the crew and boatbuilders to media folk, re-enactors, story-tellers, traders, craftsmen etc who would like to be involved with events at ports of call (see website for full list of destinations).

If you are interested in becoming involved or if you would just like to get newsletters and info about the project, follow the link here for more information: http://den.vikingkings.com/PortalDefaul ... eTabID=891

All the best,
Trí
tri
Active Newbie

Re: Norwegian Viking ship seeking crew and volunteers

Postby brendan on Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:02 pm

I think I already heard about this one, am I right in saying that the participation doesnt involve being in kit on the boat?
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Re: Norwegian Viking ship seeking crew and volunteers

Postby tri on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:48 pm

Hi Brendan,

I'm not sure how much of the time the crew would be expected to be in kit. They want people in kit on arrival (and I guess, departure) from ports, other than that I'm not sure if it's a change into modern gear as soon as you're out of sight situation or if they have something else in mind.

Have to say, having been there and back again on the Sea Stallion, I was mighty glad for waterproofs and thermals ;)
tri
Active Newbie

Return to Early-Medieval