Textiles: recent finds

Viking, Saxon, and Early Christian Irish cultures

Moderator: the_power

Textiles: recent finds

Postby oleg on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:59 pm

God bless Heckett and her research. Now I have a lot of references to early medieval textiles, and, especially references to finds of vegetable fibres textiles in Ireland.

Elizabeth Wincott Heckett. The Lady of Cloonshannagh Bog: An Irish 7th Century AD Female Bog Body and the Related Textiles. http://www.nesat.org/abstracts/lecture_wincott%20heckett.pdf

Have anyone seen any articles regarding textiles with vegetable fibres?
http://www.bran-deas.kiev.ua
Bran-Deas - group, focused on Ireland(IX-XI) located in Kiev, Ukraine.
Goddammit, sign up for free!
oleg
Active Newbie
Full Name: Oleg Shevtoff

Re: Textiles: recent finds

Postby Morcant on Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Be blessed aswell for bringing up this link! This is an excellent find. It only lacks a few pictures of the textile fragments.

I have trouble figuring out what was the female fashion in early christian Ireland. Did women wore lèine with full sleeves similar to what male had ; or a "peplos"/tubular garnment akin to anglo-saxon fashion of that period?

I'm looking for the different fashions that could be avalaible to western Briton women by that period for the women of our group. Late roman and anglo-saxon fashions are both well documented, but the irish influence and common heritage is not to be neglected aswell. The tubular garnment doesn't seem to have been much used in western Britain. Most types of penannular broochs are from either Brittonic or Irish origins, and when we find them in anglo-saxon burials, they are not found in corresponding pairs. It would make sense those broochs were not used for tubular garnments, and that fashion may not be appropriate for british women...
Morcant
Full Name: Benjamin Franckaert

Postby wiblick on Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:50 pm

Thanks for that.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby oleg on Thu May 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Hi,

NESAT 2011 is finished. As I understand, it's going to be published in 2012.
Is there any way to get some information on textiles discovered with the Lady of Cloonshannagh Bog before NESAT XI Volume gets published?
oleg
Active Newbie

Postby oleg on Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:37 am

oleg
Active Newbie

Postby vlasta on Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:50 pm

Yes, and the Cloonshanagh Townland look quite interesting. There's seven different types of woollen fabric there (2/2 twill, 2/1 twill, ribbed tabby) and one of them has extra thick pile threads introduced into the weave. This cloth's remains seemed to cover big part of the body, so possibly it was originally a shaggy pile cloak. The quality of all the fabrics suggests that the woman was of higher social standing.
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Return to Early-Medieval