Legion Ireland - We need You!

Romans, Gauls, Greeks and Egyptians - our well documented early history

Moderator: the_power

Re: Legion Ireland - We need You!

Postby Nerva on Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:02 am

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Dear Mr Nerva, I ws under the impression you did not approve of so called "Celtic Tribes" it might intrest you to know that the "Celtic" peoples were never known as that only by their tribal names, Celtic is being slowly looked at by revisionist historians. I wish people would get it right for once. :evil:

You are quite right Eoghan, I am no believer of the so called "Celtic" conspiracy :lol: However we do not know what these aboriginal people actually called themselves as they left no written record, so the use of the term "Celt" is to accommodate those unfamiliar with the current historical research ;) As for people getting it right, well that is ultimately dependent on what we accept as "right".

Vale

Nerva
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby Billy on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:02 am

it might intrest you to know that the "Celtic" peoples were never known as that only by their tribal names, Celtic is being slowly looked at by revisionist historians. I wish people would get it right for once

Hi Eoghan,

in fairness, this is something we are all keenly aware of, and have discussed to death before on these forums.I'm glad you're looking into this subject, but it might not be fair to the rest of us to presume that no one else is aware of the ideas that are new and exciting to you. We know this subject well, and have hammered it out at length.

As for the use of the word Celtic, problematic and all as it is, it is a useful shortcut, getting straight to what someone has in mind when they actually mean (western European Iron age warrior using La Tene style weaponary, art and technology, speaking Insular Goidelic or Brythinic, or continental Gaulish, Lepontic or Celtiberian, worshipping amongst others gods and goddesses such as Lugos, Brigantia, Nantosuelta, Toutatis, Tarvos Tricaranus, Esus, Ogmios etc. and possibly fighting in the loose confederation under Vercingetorix and generally sharing several cultural traits with neighbouring ethnic groups). Celtic is a much more convenient label. Just because they didn't use it back then doesn't mean it hasn't any currency now. The native tribes of America didn't call themselves Indians until after European contact, but scholars now refer to Pre-Columbian Indian cultures, and lump an immensely diverse group together under a label of Indian or Native American for convenience's sake.

As for you Martin,

Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side/Roman Empire. You have failed, your highness. I am a Jedi-Celt like my father before me.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby Nerva on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:47 pm

Billy wrote:Never. I'll never turn to the Dark Side/Roman Empire. You have failed, your highness. I am a Jedi-Celt like my father before me.

Dah dah dah da de dah dah dah...(imagine Darth Vader music :D )

I'm your father Billy..er, I mean Luke :oops:
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby brendan on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:12 pm

loves a good march does the romans :P
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Previous

Return to Classical