hello im new so be gentle

From palaeolithic to the late iron age, discuss leather underwear and rocks to your hearts' content

Moderator: the_power

Re: hello im new so be gentle

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:41 pm

I live in the village. We don't have regular meetings, we're a bit ad hock that way. We'd be happy to meet you some time. We were in Portumna a few hours ago shopping but there was no time to get a message out for a hook-up and I had a Community Council meeting tonight anyway. Next day maybe.

PM me if you're planning to pass through.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby panda on Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:58 pm

sabrewolfe wrote:Yeah he is sometimes over for flags dunno about Flags 2009 as ive heard nothing yet, I know he is definately at Foulksrath 09, most years he has a huge transit van full of wares that takes five people a half hour to unload; everything from sheep skins to velvet, silks and of course linens. He will be over as a trader for Foulksrath on April 3rd 4th and 5th 2009 for the fourth annual Foulksrath Banquet and trainning weekend.

Ive been chatting to hm several times recently and he does intend on being there. I'm also dropping hints to other traders that it be a good event. ;)
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:10 am

Well, Mogh Roith raised some dosh this year and want to shop. So do keep him and us in the loop please :)
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Tue Nov 04, 2008 11:54 am

Bernie is good, and cheap (Usually <€10 per meter). And he has moved on a lot from his early years to the point where he mostly sells good stuff that is suited to reenactment (there are still a few suspect velvets knocking around).
One problem is that due to his popularity you will almost certainly see someone else wearing the same fabric - not sure if that is a big deal for you though.

Murphy Sheehy do have good stuff from time to time but you need to know what you are looking at as they mostly cater for contemporary fashion and carry a lot of synthetic mix (which apart from authenticity are likely to go up in flames if you are too near a fire!). And they are not so cheap - even with discount (Expect to pay up to €2�er meter for wool; €15 � linen)

Ali does UK Viking era events but doesn't travel so much. Some very good stuff, but (Again) if you don't question you could end up with something a bit suspect.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby panda on Tue Nov 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Dave Mooney wrote:Well, Mogh Roith raised some dosh this year and want to shop. So do keep him and us in the loop please :)

I'll be seeing him at TORM so I'll see if I can get a confirmed event list from him. ;)
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby airgead on Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:11 pm

i think i may have an idea, i was thinking of trying to go as authentic as i could, so im going to have a go at weaveing my own wool dyed with plant extracts, this should be fun, does anyone know if the elder is a native tree or not?
airgead
Full Name: anthony vincent

Postby wiblick on Wed Nov 05, 2008 7:30 am

If I'm reading _Flora Hibernica_ correctly Elder is native, but I'm not sure what the mordant is. Or if it even needs one.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:28 am

Airgead,
Can you start that as a new thread so others can find the discussion please.

Elder is native but I'm not sure you can dye with it and I'm nearly sure it was considered sacred at some point and should never be burned.
Do you mean Alder? You get different colours from different parts of that, in different seasons with different mordants. Alder bleeds red when you cut it but this oxidisation process ceases after a few days so presumably you have to fix the colour really fast. I'll have to check again but the catkins give you black and the bark can give red if done right, I think. Largely you'll be looking at shades of grey I reckon.
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Postby wiblick on Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:58 am

According to some websites most trees were sacred at some point including both elder and alder. So I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if you are re-enacting a Christian Irish person (notwithstanding the holdover of some pagan rituals etc.)

Elder leaves give a green/blue colour and apparently the leaves can be used as a mordant for other dyes and so I suspect would not need their a mordant. Although here it says to boil in alum water.
http://www.elizabethancostume.net/dyes/innsbruck/
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:57 pm

This thread is going down different avenues so I've Split it to "have a go at weaving my own wool dyed with plant extracts" and have locked this current thread.

Dave [Mod]
Dave Mooney.
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie

Previous

Return to Pre-History