A glimpse of non-Mediterranean Bronze Age clothes

From palaeolithic to the late iron age, discuss leather underwear and rocks to your hearts' content

Moderator: the_power

Re: A glimpse of non-Mediterranean Bronze Age clothes

Postby Fahey on Tue May 19, 2009 10:31 pm

finnobreanan wrote:
Billy wrote:Well I did mention twice that they were Danish, and not Irish.
Also, since these are bronze age, I'm not sure whether it's fair to assign items from this time period as either Germanic or Celtic. It's a bit further back than we can culturally identify, in my opinion.

But there rages another argument again.

Thanks for the thanks Finn!

Le meas,
Billy.

Very good point Billy. I should have done a bit more homework, because the 2000 BC date is certainly before the Celts. I now remembered seeing similar garments in Mairead Dunlevy's book, Dress in Ireland: A History. On page 15 she discusses a man's costume from a bog in County Antrim dated to about 750 BC. She discusses the woolen clothing and sash found. She compares the garments to "Bronze Age oak-coffin burials of Schleswig and Jutland" and says, "it is possible to use the the evidence from better preserved north European graves. An artist's rendering is on the same page.

I also pulled out Simon James' book, The World of the Celts. In discussing female dress, he compares the many similarities between Hallstatt finds and materials found in Denmark, including a remarkably well preserved tartan type skirt from a bog.

Considering all this, the Scandanavian oak-coffin grave clothing is probably a good example of what Bronze Age people of northern Europe were wearing, including Ireland.

is the guy in the picture suppose to show a shirt and skirt/like combo with cloak?
Fahey
Full Name: Geremy Gulino

Postby finnobreanan on Wed May 20, 2009 1:29 pm

The Antrim and Danish finds are very similar. The lower garment is a wrap around with a sash to hold it on, and the top is a cloak. The book 'The Mound People' by P.V. Glob shows the clothing found in Denmark and is well worth checking out.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Fahey on Wed May 20, 2009 10:35 pm

thankyou finn ill try to get a copy of that
Fahey
Full Name: Geremy Gulino

Postby angelabrookss on Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:15 am

I have found a glimpse of non-Mediterranean Bronze Age clothes when i was traveling in the Mediterranean cruise . I really like that old fashion clothes !
angelabrookss
Full Name: angelabrooks

Previous

Return to Pre-History