Leitrim Training Weekend

Moderator: the_power

Re: Leitrim Training Weekend

Postby Duck on Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:50 pm

Just a quick addition:

Guys!!! If you have eating gear could you please bring it? We're going to be short and we want everyone (if poss) to bring their own. If you dont have re-enactment stuff even a regular plate, knife & fork will do

Thank you!
Duck
Faol Lia
---------------------------
Can your thoughts, torpid with repose, transport themselves back to the horrors and joys of the past?
Duck
Full Name: John Sinnott

Postby the_power on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:04 pm

I hope to be there, I'm trying to convince Julie to go.

Is there any sort of ... syllabus made up ? I'm still trying to encourage people to use short spears for early irish stuff (rather than double handed spears, and doing viking), so I'd be very happy to bring some spares & give some beginner lessons!

john
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Bandraoi on Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:28 pm

the_power wrote: I'm still trying to encourage people to use short spears for early irish stuff (rather than double handed spears, and doing viking), so I'd be very happy to bring some spares & give some beginner lessons!

Yay! Early Irish! yes please!
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Postby the_power on Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:23 pm

Lora, no offence, but I'd be reluctant to give you much more than a taste, just yet. Currently, only myself, Dave Mooney and Brendan Griffin have used single handed spear in Ireland. It requires a stupid amount of wrist and shoulder strength, that you can only build up over years of training with heavier weapons & armour. I concur with The Regia training standards in the UK - no one should fight with single handed spear against anyone but a trainer until they've completed a year's training with a 'starter' weapon like a double handed spear or a small sword, and a second year with a heavier weapon like a hand and a half sword (used single handed) or a large single-handed axe. Regia have it a little more formal, where they award training stamps (for training with a weapon at a large gathering like Leitrim) in the weapon you have spend a weekend training with.

I've no problem showing someone the spear in a one-on-one situation at training, but don't be under any allusion that you would be allowed field with the weapon unless you have two years fighting under your belt, and pass strict competency check (as I did, this year in Bunratty).

Might take even longer to get competency with dual-wield spear, as I favour, these days. Good to get a taste now though!

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Bandraoi on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:37 pm

John, no offence taken, at all. I'm very aware of my newbie status, and though I reserve the right to pout and grumble :roll: about not being allowed (by my trainer) to take the field til next year and a hell of a lot more weekly training sessions... I wouldn't be involved if it was any other way.

I'm happy to watch and learn for now. But still, early Irish :mrgreen: Yay!
~ Is minic a bhris beal duine a shron ~
It's often that a person's mouth breaks their nose...
New web site for Rathcroghan, seat of Kingship in the west of Ireland for nearly 2000 years! http://www.rathcroghan.ie
Bandraoi
Active Newbie
Full Name: Wethren DeStoirm

Postby Maid-MarionRose on Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:24 pm

A House Warming of a different kind.

Invaded by the hoards of ne're do wells in the fields of fair Leitrim!

(Obviously including myself in that )
See you there for fireside craic 8-)
Marion Rose

Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loud and enjoy life!
Maid-MarionRose
Active Newbie
Full Name: Marion Rose

Postby Duck on Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:35 pm

the_power wrote: Currently, only myself, Dave Mooney and Brendan Griffin have used single handed spear in Ireland.
John

I beg to differ. Fran was using a one handed spear long before you joined re-enactment John!!! :twisted:
Duck
Faol Lia
---------------------------
Can your thoughts, torpid with repose, transport themselves back to the horrors and joys of the past?
Duck
Full Name: John Sinnott

Postby brendan on Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:53 am

well, I know that I have fought John at events with Short spear and seen Dave use it at public events. Other than that I dont recall seeing anyone using the short spear at any event I have attended.
Which of course has nothing to do with the amount of people who are capable of using the spear one handed. For instance, Pete often uses spear in training but prefers sword for events. I am sure that it is the same or similar for Fran.
But of course, Fran is well able to speak for himself (Pete is not online)

The core point is that most depictions of early Irish fighting at events use two handed spears.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Previous

Return to Faoi Lia