Shillelagh 2.0

Irish and European fighting styles and techniques, and the required Arms & Armour

Moderator: the_power

Re: Shillelagh 2.0

Postby Freebeard on Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:43 pm

ah faction fighting.....you could always get in contact with the UCC Folklore department and see if they know anyone wo could do it? they migt know. its not much, but it might help
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby brendan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 pm

It is not Irish but there is a Portuguese stick fighting system that is still practiced called Jogo Do Pau. More relevant if you want to study it than if you are looking for someone to display

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby knightofredemption on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:58 pm

I don't know if you have come across this guy but you might find it of interest http://www.cimande.com/blackthorn/intro.html
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:26 pm

Generally, yes. I'm a bit confused about the 'Black Thorn' connection to this Indonesian hand style, save that this one bloke does both and has cross pollinated.
My Da's old mate does a style similar hand style, he lives in Oz. It's all very serpent. As a style it seems more art than martial and not very economical in motion or power.

Cheers though.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Max Chouinard on Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:12 pm

Actually this style is the same that I documented in my article (see the shillelagh topic just below). I haven't seen Mr. Sanders practicing, I know there are some parrallels between the two styles, but both are significantly different in nature.
Max Chouinard
Full Name: Maxime Chouinard

Postby nathan on Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:07 pm

so does anyone know when and where the Shillelagh came in to use. and would anyone like to submit ideas to actually get something going. i would be glad to help in any way even if just as a human target. i think the preservation of historic martial arts is vital especially our own native ones. there are plenty of styles to base it around but is there any solid irish sources? i would appreciate if anyone who has a fello interest to contact ,e by pm or whatever suits you and try maybe aim to do something with it if anyone is open to the idea. i would love to see our own form of combat out there. but basics first any info on exact specs of a Shillelagh and dates of use historic sources and styles?
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby museumtom on Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:30 am

Years ago I remember my Da telling me of the 'ould' days when faction fighting was all the vogue. The cudgels favoured were ash saplings and blackthorn. He said they used to keep them up the chimney and the turf smoked hardened them. They were taken down regularly and polished ready for use. They were always brought to fairs 'just in case'.
Regards.
Tom.
museumtom
Active Newbie
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby Freebeard on Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:09 am

nathan wrote:so does anyone know when and where the Shillelagh came in to use. but basics first any info on exact specs of a Shillelagh and dates of use historic sources and styles?

just to clarify, when you say shillelagh, do you it as a cudgel/club of blackthorn or as a unique piece of equipment solely identified as a "shillelagh" which is what we know it as today?

i'm just curious as to what you mean by this, and i'll see what i can look up
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby nathan on Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:10 pm

well thats what i would like to know when it was in popular use was it simply any stick that suited the users preference or was there a standard i know the modern concept of it is probably wrong as most drawings iv seen of them are very different. so any ideas on what original ones were like? and any ideas on how the modern versions came into being? thanks for the help by the way.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby finnobreanan on Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:53 am

I'm not sure about this technique, but I couldn't resist :lol: :
http://www.joost.com/079000d/t/Ren-and- ... e-Scotsman
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

PreviousNext

Return to Historic Martial Arts, Arms and Armour