shillelagh

Irish and European fighting styles and techniques, and the required Arms & Armour

Moderator: the_power

Re: shillelagh

Postby Max Chouinard on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:26 pm

I was looking into this a few years back; read Mr. Hurley's very well researched book and loved it (being a research freak!), tried some Aiki Jitsu and the short staff training seems similar...

The Jo from aikido (or any other ryu ha for that matter) hasn't much to do with shillelagh bata, at least not from what I learnt and surely not from the written material. Jojutsu is heavily based on sword and bo (6 foot staff) techniques, bata is based on a totally different approach. From what I found, the style as much more in common with bastone siciliano and the venetian stick work in Manciolino than anything else (http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=IkX4xebWb ... re=related).

I came to the personal conclusion that there's nothing intact surviving and I am very sceptical of anybody claiming unbroken family lineage in ANY tradition.

I'd like to know how you came to this conclusion. Because then you are denying that any tradition (I could name a dozen) that does not have a written history is false? Skepticism is a good thing, but researching oral history and traditions demands both an open and critical mind.

The translation of my article is nearly complete, I'll post it up here as soon as it's finished.
Max Chouinard
Full Name: Maxime Chouinard

Postby Max Chouinard on Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:36 pm

Max Chouinard

Postby brendan on Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:39 pm

I referred to this on the second thread but it probably belongs here:
There is a European stick fighting system that is still hanging on in Portugal called Jogo Do Pau (Game of Sticks). It is designed for a staff length weapon with one end weighted. It has been modified to work with shorter sticks.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Max Chouinard on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:17 am

Not just in Portugal. Here is a post I made on MAP with an overview of some of the western traditionnal styles of stick fighting around the globe (two videos on Jogo do Pau, short and long stick): http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums ... hp?t=82474
Max Chouinard

Previous

Return to Historic Martial Arts, Arms and Armour