Bunratty 09

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Re: Bunratty 09

Postby panda on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:19 am

Barry the kit guide says wool over tunic for the lads (or anyone that is fielding). Is it permissable to have a linen over tunic instead. I'm just asking for clarification as you reference Viborg shirt for style which is a linen shirt. :)
And I do hope to attend :)
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby frodo on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:14 am

You gave times for the Fight Tests but didn't mention when the authenticity checks will be? Or will it all happen at the same time? You have put so much effort into making a kit guide it would be a shame not to enforce it as much as the fighting regulations. A fighter in unauthentic shouldn't be allowed on the field just as much as an unsafe one, obviously a bit of leniency can be given towards kit but it would be disappointing not to enforce the rules.
If their is to be a little bit of wiggle room with the kit are there any items that may be allowed in small numbers? John mentioned some insular Irish, will their be a few Russ, Sami, Normans, Franks or Picts or older pieces of kit 8th to 9thC allowed on or are the kit guidelines final and to the letter?
I just dont want to turn up in my Errol Flynn outfit and get told I cant play...
frodo

Postby wiblick on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:11 am

Panda

as the Viborg shirt is a shirt it is worn under a tunic. Do not let the intricacy of the design lead you to believe that it should be visible.

Aoife
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby guthroth on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:21 am

Hi

I'm acting as liasion for a group travelling from the London area, and I've already told folk here ther Norman or 'Eastern' kit will not be acceptable for this years event.

Pete
Literature stops in 1100.
After that it's just books.
J.R.R. Tolkien
guthroth
Full Name: Pete James - Guthroth

Postby wiblick on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:36 am

frodo wrote: If their is to be a little bit of wiggle room with the kit are there any items that may be allowed in small numbers? John mentioned some insular Irish, will their be a few Russ, Sami, Normans, Franks or Picts or older pieces of kit 8th to 9thC allowed on or are the kit guidelines final and to the letter?

Wiggle room...

as stated in the Guidelines the wiggle room is 950 - 1050. This is specifically owing to the difficulty archaeologists have in dating many artefacts but items in this range should be safe enough.

To the best of my knowledge there will be NO small numbers of Russ, Sami, Normans, Franks or Picts or older pieces of kit. We have also tried to steer clear for the most of part of Sagas and stick instead to the archaeological record.

In reference to the above ethnicities we have asked people to tone down their ethnic flair: baggy trousers, furry hats & all silk clothing should not be worn. Likewise trimmings and jewellery should be left at home or avoided.

If you are suggesting a piece of kit please send me a link to its provenance.

Many thanks

Aoife
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie

Postby wiblick on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:42 am

Frodo

I do not have the specific times for the authenticity check for this years show, but they were held starting a little before and then in tandem with the competency checks last year. So as each combatant enters the 'arena' they have their authenticity check and then go on to do their battle check, LHers were done nearby by a member of the Vike. I assume the layout will be much the same this year.
wiblick
Active Newbie

Postby wiblick on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:52 am

In response to some points in previous posts.

The kit guide is written for the 'ordinary soldier' participant. There are some high status characters involved who will be given separate direction regarding what to wear.

Please stick to the kit guide as written or contact me or the group with the provenance for your chosen item of kit.
wiblick
Active Newbie

Postby azure on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:02 am

I think people are taking advantage of the day that is in it :D

The kit guide is very clear.
Eimear
Qui male cogitat, male sibi
azure

Postby frodo on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:31 pm

Excellent Im really glad to hear that, for once a gig is laying down strict kit guidelines and sticking to them rigidly. I will be great to have a gig with a strong theme and no wang kit anywhere. I am glad you cleared that up, not just for me but for anyone else. Really looking forward to an authentic gig I just hope those doing the check aren't afraid to turn a few away for the benefit of the gig.
frodo

Postby panda on Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:47 pm

wiblick wrote:Panda

as the Viborg shirt is a shirt it is worn under a tunic. Do not let the intricacy of the design lead you to believe that it should be visible.

Aoife

So wool tunics are a must then?
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to Events