Fort Camden Dates 2011

Let us know about interesting events here

Moderator: the_power

Fort Camden Dates 2011

Postby Fort Camden on Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 am

Hi all

heres a list of dates where group have booked intothe Fort to put on Re-enactment displays.

July 30th, 31st
August 20th 21st
September 10th, 11th
and our closing weekend Sepember 24th 25th.

We are now in a postion to offer some expenses for groups who wish to come to the Fort and display. We also provide lunch tea/coffee to re-enactors and a large BBQ on the Sat nite.
all other weekends between now and sept are open to re-enactment groups to set up if they wish. if you would like to book a weekend or book into any listed above please contact me here or Colm Doyle yo can pm us and we cn then phone to arrange.
heres our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Fort-C ... 8073513941
www.rescuecamden.ie.

some photos can be found here http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 227476d9fb

thanks again
Fort Camden
Full Name: Rescue Camden Committe

Re: Fort Camden Dates 2011

Postby enfield on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Great news, as far as I can see I am available for them. Instead of re-enacting I will set up a table of War Dead Databases to help anyone searching for relatives killed in the great war.
Thanks to Fort Camden for allowing this facility to be made available to the public for the first time.
Kind regards.
Tom.
enfield
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Postby Nerva on Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:35 pm

Great news. We’ll do out best to make as many week ends as we can. I can guarantee any re-enactor that they’ll be treated like royalty.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby tommyargue on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:16 am

Nerva wrote:Great news. We’ll do out best to make as many week ends as we can. I can guarantee any re-enactor that they’ll be treated like royalty.

Re enactor's might be but their kit won't. I won't be back there any time soon.
I want my scalps
tommyargue
Active Newbie
Full Name: jude stynes

Postby Swifty on Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:18 pm

Claíomh were considering attending one of these events but the above is certainly not clarifying what we may expect. The two statements above appear to be painted with a broad brush - each going in differing directions.

So may I respectfully ask what's the story then?

Am I to understand that re-enactors/living historians are welcome to display gear but are not to wear gear as such? Or are the authorities at Camden opposed to particular genres of living history?
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Fort Camden on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:20 pm

Hi Jude/Dave
We where just informed as to an issue re gear at the weekend jude and the lads where down.

One of the voulenteers decided to open the display room while the lads where doing an re-enactment up in the main part of the Fort, said person was in the room with the re-enactors display and was leaveing members of the public at the gear without the owners being present.

This issue will not rise again. Jude we are sorry for what happened and if we had known sooner we could have sorted it.

As regards to daves question all re-enactors of all periods are welcome to come to the fort and display their gear and whatever else they have to offer. so far we have had ww1,war of independence , Irish civil war,WW2 British,American and German and of course the Romans.

It was been agreed by the Rescue Camden Committe that all re-enactors who attend will get some expenses towards travel, coffee,tea all day and lunch. On the Saturday nite we will have a BBQ for all re-enactors.

We are sorry the issue came up with Judes gear but as said will not happen again, we try our best to make the Fort an enjoyable experience for re-enactors and public alike. we are always open to suggestions and advice.

hope to see ye all here at some time.

All are welcom
Fort Camden
Full Name: Rescue Camden Committe

Postby Swifty on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:31 pm

Many thanks Fort Camden for the reply and clarification - I will take a look at the diary and will be in touch shortly.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby Nerva on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:53 pm

Salvete Omnes! (How’s it going lads),

I was not aware that Jude had a problem on the week end until he posted here so I am not in a position to comment. I can only comment on the experience of our group on the week end.

We had access to the fort from early Friday evening. We had no problem coming and going but there was always security on the gate (Tom Burnell and Co). Now some people were probably scratching their heads trying to reconcile 1st century Roman re-enactors with For Camden, but we were made feel most welcome – I have no doubt that Colm Doyle had a lot to do with that!

We came to the fort simply to have a good time in a great location while supporting a very worthy cause – if we could do more we would. With this in mind it came as a little surprise to be given free tea and coffee on the Saturday – not something we’re used to getting at events. Then to be offered meal vouchers for lunch and then a BBQ with a ton of food that evening was a great surprise as the proceeds from this event go directly into the fort. Again we were fed on the Sunday.

@ Dave. If this is how they treat Imperialist Romans then I’m sure Gallowglass like yourselves will be treated like Irish Royalty.

Valete (Talk 'ta ya)

Martin.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby jenny102 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:16 pm

The Irish Military Vehicles Group are looking forward to our visit to the Fort.

Just finalising details of which vehicles we are bringing. Packing starts this weekend.

See you there !
jenny102
Active Newbie
Full Name: Jennifer Kelly

Postby enfield on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:25 pm

They are nice people, you will enjoy yourselves, don't get lost in the tunnels. Any skeletons found have to be reported......
enfield
Full Name: Tom Burnell

Next

Return to Events