Hi From down Under!

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Hi From down Under!

Postby maconmara on Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:07 am

Hi folks,

I've been a member of this forum for a while now and although I read the information and discussions posted here fairly regularly I haven't in fact ever posted on here. Keeping in mind that I'm a world away in Australia I tend to use the site just to see what the other half are doing so to speak. I have recently started a group down here called Fianna.... A living history organisation based in Brisbane with a 16th century Gaelic focus. As such I have been re-reading through some of the discussion and information posted on the site, it has been quite helpful and has led me to other sites of interest and assistance. I have been involved in re-enactment and living history here in Australia on or off for around 10 years however this is my first fore' into Gaelic living history. With over 37 percent of Australians being of Irish/ Scots decent we are finding already that there is a decent amount of interest in Gaelic history... and so I am hopeful that Fianna will really take off. Living history in Australia is very much based around English/ French/ German culture and the majority of the living history community here assume that Gaelic culture has little or no difference to that of the English and mainland European cultures. Our mission is to challenge and re-educate Australian's particularly those of Irish/ Scots decent.

Cheers

Lance
maconmara
Full Name: Lance McNamara

Re: Hi From down Under!

Postby finnobreanan on Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:29 pm

Welcome and best of luck to your new group. You will find a lot of good information on 16th century Ireland on the Early Modern thread. Don't be shy to ask questions either.
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Return to Introductions