Greetings from Himself

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Greetings from Himself

Postby Caoimhin on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 am

My name is Kevin and I hail from the Pacific Northwest. My interest started 16 years ago when I started tracing my family history for an SCA persona. since then I have played an O' Connor in what will be three different persona's. The first in the SCA in Washington and the second in the Bay Area with the Saint Andrews Royal Order of noble Scots and Irish. I am now back in Washington and the Reenacting bug has bit me again. I am in the pre-planning stages of creating my own household in the area. So far the only group around here is a pirate guild and it only gives me the option of being one of Gráinne Ní Mháille's men which could be interesting but I don't know if it's for me. What I really want to do is play a Brehon. I posted another thread about it here http://livinghistory.ie/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1963

Here are some images of me from California

\/ \/ this is me screaming towards the Knights of St George as a Kern

and here is the avatar I was going to try and use but I can't seem to get the file size any smaller.
Image :D
"Michael began to call out a warning for Caoimhin, O’Donnell and MacCarraig to move up when it was cut short by a sickening smack of a dart piercing his breast." an excerpt from 'Maitiu's Stories'
Caoimhin
Full Name: Kevin J Franklin

Re: Greetings from Himself

Postby Caoimhin on Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:34 am

also, I want to call my household House fire head for some reason, I don't know why. I looked up fire (tine) and head (ceann) in irish and was wondering would it be Tine Ceann or Ceann Tine, or would it be something else all together?
"Michael began to call out a warning for Caoimhin, O’Donnell and MacCarraig to move up when it was cut short by a sickening smack of a dart piercing his breast." an excerpt from 'Maitiu's Stories'
Caoimhin

Postby Billy on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:44 am

Good work there, looks great. The Irish for 'House Fire Head' would be 'Tigh Cheann Tine'.

If you're just using 'Fire Head', you don't need the 'Tigh', and you drop the 'h' in the second word, and end up with 'Ceann Tine'.

Beir bua,
Billy.
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby seabaroness on Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:50 am

Well met, Kevin. It's good to see a fellow yank and a scadian here.
I confess, it is my intention to commandeer one of these ships, pick up a crew in Tralee, raid, pillage and otherwise pilfer my weasley black guts out.
seabaroness
Full Name: Frances Avnet

Postby Caoimhin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:47 am

Thanks to both of you for the welcome and again thank you to Billy for the proper spelling, I thought Head would come first in the Irish spelling but that helped quite a bit.
Caoimhin

Postby finnobreanan on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:33 pm

There are not a lot of us here in the USA doing good Irish impressions. I am in Wisconsin, but most of the people I know are based out of Maryland. You may also want to check out this group on facbook, Caislean n Cnamha: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/1494 ... 1/members/
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

Postby Caoimhin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:39 pm

finnobreanan wrote:There are not a lot of us here in the USA doing good Irish impressions. I am in Wisconsin, but most of the people I know are based out of Maryland. You may also want to check out this group on facbook, Caislean n Cnamha: https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/1494 ... 1/members/

Thanks, I'll have to become a part of that. I see Kass McGann is on there. I've spoke with a couple of times on her Reconstructing History site in the past. She pretty thorough.
Caoimhin

Postby Caoimhin on Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:09 pm

I would love to construct one of those bothy's on the Facebook page at an event. I'd just need to get my hands on enough sod
Caoimhin

Postby Caoimhin on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:14 am

here is something I worked up last night for Tigh Cheann Tine.
Caoimhin

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Caoimhin wrote:also, I want to call my household House fire head for some reason, I don't know why. I looked up fire (tine) and head (ceann) in irish and was wondering would it be Tine Ceann or Ceann Tine, or would it be something else all together?

House fire head does not really read right, the House hold of the Fire Heads would read better, as tigh means house hold ie Tigh Mháirtín means Martin's house / house hold, if you are talking about warriors then Aed is a better word to use pronounced as (e) as it means the flame of a warrior that which burns within that gives him the fight within, or Cineal meaning type or people of Cineal Uí Niall , the people of Niall.
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Next

Return to Introductions