Intro

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

Intro

Postby RomanGladiator on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:38 pm

Despite the username my interests are varied. I've always had an interest in historical combat (but i'll admit it's a glorified image cos of films), so i figured i'd just learn how to do it for myself. so i've recently started sword combat with my girlfriend. we may not be too good, but we're getting better (and it's not foam LARP swords, it's wooden training swords and multiple cuts and bruises will prove it). by the end of it i hope to be able to train like i see in the recent TV show Spartacus......not holding back and really going at it.

my other interest lies with the Medievel: i adore genuine castles. I've done a few trips in round the likes of Trim castle and find it fascinating. now on days off, my girlfriend and i would drop in to old castle ruins, old churches and try figure out what's original and from what time period it came from. the clothing is also a favourite of ours!!! we're dying to join in with the reenactment fairs and wear the clothes, take part in the activities, and fight, lol.

we're new to this and can't say we're into 1 particular era as we're guilty of enjoying different snatches from all through history, so you'll excuse me if i make reference to two items that could be centuries apart and on seperate continents, but that's just where my tastes have brought me.
RomanGladiator
Full Name: Colin Griffin

Re: Intro

Postby Nerva on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:06 pm

Salve Colin,

If you're interested in Roman Combat and Gladiator combat re-enactment then check us out at http://www.romanarmy.ie or on Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/337802957619/. If your interested why not drop me an email on nerva@romanarmy.ie

Vale,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby RomanGladiator on Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:00 pm

thanks for your reply
what sorts of combat training do you do? i've signed up to the facebook group now as well.
the girlfriend and i need to become better fighters. we can work on the clothes ourselves at home.

by the way, where are yous based?
RomanGladiator
Full Name: Colin Griffin

Postby Nerva on Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi Colin,

We do full contact gladiator (Murmillo, Galli, Hoplomacus, Provocotores etc) and military combat. Military combat consists of similar and dissimilar fighting styles and methods. We're not really based anywhere as we have members from Donegal, Meath, Offaly and Cork etc. but meet and train at least once per month.

Cheers,

Martin.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby pajo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:03 pm

hiya colin, on your medieval interest, theres a good few groups around doing medieval, Bran Dúbh, which I'm the Kilkenny commander of, are now getting together on a regular basis for training -any weekend we're not at a show-, mostly under Martyn Merlehan, but also with input from some other long time re-enactors. You're always welcome to join us for a gander and some work :)

Dont know where you're based yourself, but we have training in Kilkenny, Limerick (Kilmallock) and Cork City. There'll be different people, depending on what Commandery you head to.

Theres also a new Viking Group in Waterford, who might be worth a look , I think they have a post on here somewhere about it! :)
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Return to Introductions