New group in Waterford

Introduce yourself here; who you are, where you are based, and any groups you are in.

Moderator: the_power

New group in Waterford

Postby Vaderfiord on Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:41 pm

Well, the die is cast! Having come up with the idea of starting a Living History/Reenactment group last Wednesday (!) I seem to be now well committed. My experience of Re-enactment is a bit secondhand - I have a daughter who was in MedRen a few years ago, she seemed to be much engaged in hitting people with sticks and tablet weaving ;) :D

Waterford is rapidly becoming a centre of Viking activity in the south east, with a replica longship being built, work on museums etc, but no 'permanent' Vikings. So I am attempting to remedy that, and meeting a good deal of help and enthusiasm from various people in the city.

My own interest is in authentic costume and crafts, but no doubt there will be a strong interest in fighting/weapons training. Its all a bit 'into the unknown' and an adventure, but look out for us - hopefully this thing will get off the ground and add to Ireland's re-enactor groups!
Vaderfiord
Full Name: Shirley Walsh

Re: New group in Waterford

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:44 pm

good luck in your venture
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby Malo on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:08 am

Good luck with the group!!

I'm sure you will find a lot of people to help you with sources and training, etc.
Vive La Nation!!!
Malo
Active Newbie
Full Name: Jaques-Louis Malo

Postby brendan on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:20 pm

Best of luck with the new group!
Having been in several and involved in forming a new one in the last year or so I can tell you that it is a rewarding and challenging experience.
There are a few things you might need to be aware of in this, maybe you have already thought about it...

-If you are planning to run or take part in events you will need public liability insurance. This is harder than you would think to get for the sort of stuff that we do in this hobby - fire, weapons...PM me on this and I will give you some additional details

-If you are doing combat stuff have a look at the guidelines pack (on here somewhere). There is useful discussion on safety recently on the forum.

-Organisation/Leadership model. Is this you and a bunch of mates, a dictatorship, or are you looking to structure this as a club/society with constitution etc? All models work but you need to pick the one that works for you. Oh, if you make it through a year without poaching or a split you are doing well; make it through two...share the magic touch!

-Autenticity and the types of events you want to attend, take part in. There are a few options here
    This is fun and so long as you make an effort and get the idea across that is enough. A lot of people start here, most people try to move on. Hanging around in costume that is good at 6 yards is the measure. Maybe you know some stuff...it is a good way to start and maybe all you want from what is, after all, a hobby
    You are reasonably serious about this. You get a solid display showing the basics of some craft or everyday skill. You can tell people 3 interesting things about what it is you do - that is sort of the basic level at which you can run a display...just dont make stuff up.
    Museum grade. You need a fairly tight display. Everything you have is correct to the time period represented or has a good reason for being there. This can be based on solid secondary research or primary research (post separately if you are looking on guidance here). You should be able to discourse in a fair level of detail on your chosen topic and ready to answer questions intended to catch you out by the sort of person who likes to write letters...general knowledge on the time period is useful but not essential as long as you dont make stuff up.

Its all fun, figure out where you want to fit on the spectrum!

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Vaderfiord on Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks to you all for your good wishes, we have a long way to go, but things are moving along.

I take on board your suggestions and comments about the kind of group we want, Brendon, I have no desire to be a dictator :D, we will have to discuss the structure as we set up the group.

I would be very interested in the public liability info, I will pm you.

Thanks again, hope to see you all in due course!
Vaderfiord
Full Name: Shirley Walsh

Postby Jess de Búrca Monty on Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Welcome to the madness!
Best of luck with it.

Regards

Jessica de Búrca - Montague
Montague Heritage Services
...bringing history to life!
www.montague.ie
Jess de Búrca Monty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Jessica de Búrca-Montague

Postby Billy on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:36 pm

I have no desire to be a dictator :D,

They all start off like that.

Look at Mugabe!

P.S. Welcome
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby pajo on Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I'm only a short distance fro wm waterford (knocktopher), nice 2 hav more in the vicinity :)
A hard on does NOT count as personal growth...

Effudistine potum melis meum...? Amice, nunc te interficiam.
pajo
Active Newbie

Postby gaius marius on Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:10 pm

Welcome to re-enactment. from the legions of rome.
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go bua
gaius marius
Active Newbie

Postby threaddottir on Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:19 pm

Hi, I have heard about your new group in Waterford, best of luck to you all. I have been away from this site for a while, but I am back now and would like to get involved with the Waterford group (have been talking to some of your members already). When and where are the meetings ? Thanks.
Only the Biased can be stretched the most.
threaddottir
Full Name: Clare Horgan

Next

Return to Introductions