american civil war groups

Moderator: the_power

Re: american civil war groups

Postby Irish-American on Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:39 pm

What got each of you into Civil War anyway?
Irish-American
Active Newbie
Full Name: I'd rather not say

Postby soutreb on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:40 pm

Been interested in ACW since I was about 4 or 5 years old...(a long time since!!) Really enjoy getting into uniform and telling the stories of the Irish immigrants that ended up fighting for the South, whether it be at a re-enactment/Living history event or on a visit to local schools or historical societies. I've been doing re-enactments in the US since 2004, when I participated in the Franklin 140th,I've since done Shiloh & Gettysburg 145th.

Anything you want to ask, don't hesitate !!!
God Bless Dixie,
Soutreb.
Cpl. "F Troop," 1st MO Cav (Dis) C.S.A.
Cpl. Co.F, 6th LA Vol. Inf. C.S.A.
Cpl. 10th TN Vol. Inf. C.S.A.
soutreb
Full Name: Liam McAlister

Postby Irish-American on Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:25 pm

Grand! I have been really into Irish history since I saw Gods and Generals and saw the scene of the 24th and 69th fighting it out at Ferdricksbrug. I just thought, 'How sad Irishman came to America to be free but then they end up shooting at one another.' It really spurred something in me and I been undying in Ireland since that film came out. I even play a fictional Irishman ( forgoing the Cork accent as sound very, very bad. Much like the guy on the Lucky Charms cereal adds 8-) who is a Prod (just becuse I am one, and I don't want to harm to anyone's religious grounds) and plus if I clam I am of the Prod ruling class it explains how I was able to get the schooling to be an artilleryman.
But snice then I started a novel about Irish on both sides at the battle of bull run.
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby Malo on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:14 pm

I started being interested in the american civil war when I was about 8 years of age (seems like centuries ago ;) ) after watching the complete series of north and south. My interest spread from there into World war 2, WW1 and the Napoleonic wars. at the age of 15 i started doing Napoleonic re-enactment and via that I met the group I'm currently meber of (the zouaves or 62nd NY Volunteers) and I'm part of them now for ten years aswell.

that's how I got invilved in the ACW in Germany.
Vive La Nation!!!
Malo
Active Newbie
Full Name: Jaques-Louis Malo

Postby soutreb on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:19 pm

Gods and Generals really brought home to a lot of people the fact that the Irish were on both sides. Sad, when you think that our forefathers were forced to leave thier homeland due to social, economic or political reasons and having made new lives for themselves, they ended up fighting against fellow Irish. I believe (and I stand to be corrected) it was Queen Victoria who once stated that:" You can't have a proper fight unless the Irish are on each side!"
God Bless Dixie,
Soutreb.
soutreb

Postby Irish-American on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:43 pm

9eme: Cool. I think North and South was a step in the right dereliction for Civil War movies. (Never watch the blue and the gray *shutters* They never did Volley fire even once! It was bang, bang, bang) i get really stressed out out about historical accuracy. Did get my PM with my easy btw?
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby Irish-American on Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:47 pm

Southreb:
.Until I began writing my book I knew next to noting about Ireland. To be honest, I thought you all lived in little cottages in the middle of some barley field. :o) (I really didn't, jist playing the American stereotype :D Although it does paint a predy picture. Its just crazy though as I stumbled in the Feneain (sp?) movement in America, which then led me to The Irish Republican Brotherhood then to the Easter Rising, then the Big Fella and Long Fella and on and on..its nuts I learned all this because I chose to write about Irish guy in the Civil War! And I can honestly freely admit I have an obsession with Ireland. :o) Believe there are far wrose things to have a passion for..

But the funny about is, I watched the 90s movie Michael Collins with my grandparents and they were so confused I had to give a little lecture on everything from the rising until the formation of the republic. I felt like I was on my to a PHD :D
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby soutreb on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:51 pm

Yeah, John Ford has a lot to answer for. When I went o the US first, many of the people I met had never been to Ireland and they though that it was just like the movie "The Quiet Man", white washed cottages and roses in front!
Have to agree with you re " The Blue and The Gray". Compared to North and South it is so inferior and even the acting so wooden it's hard to imagine that this was once the standard for ACW series. The DVD of re-enactments are better choreographed that B & G.

Send me a PM anytime you want to talk
God Bless Dixie,
Soutreb.
soutreb

Postby Irish-American on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:13 pm

Yeah. I will admit the line, "Yell like good Prods, now!" "Horay!" makes me laugh everytime.
If you ever read 1972 by Morgan Lwylin its gor some great lines,
"I'm an Irish Republican."
"My momie is a Republican too, she voted for Nixon."
Irish-American
Active Newbie

Postby Irish-American on Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Anyone on?
Irish-American
Active Newbie