Crossbows now legal in Ireland

Moderator: the_power

Re: Crossbows now legal in Ireland

Postby bannerman on Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:18 pm

"Oh, you certainly need a gun-safe if you have anything classed as a firearm, even an airgun. There were over 100 gun thefts last year in Ireland, and the police are coming down heavy on people with unsecured guns."

Im not so sure about that. Ive made inquiries and the back of a firearms lisence states:

Security & Storage of Firearms
-Remove the rifle bolt or dissamble shotgun, store component parts seperately in secure locations.
-Always store your firearm parts and ammunition seperately and out of reach of children.
-When advertising for sale use a box number.
-Never leave your firearm in an unattended motor vehicle.

Beyond that ive never heard of any shotgun owner I know being told by a garda they needed a gun safe. If the legislation is under review I hope they give us some very specific guidelines as to whad is legal, lisenecable etc. de-acts, permits we need to get all the grey areas replaced with very clear defining legislation so we can act responsibly and within the law at all times.
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby nathan on Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:50 pm

a gun safe that could fit a crossbow or a longbow would also be incredinly hard to find :lol:
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby brendan on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:29 pm

I have seen reenactment Crossbows in Hastings, they were low poundage and used to fire at 45 degrees - not exactly how the originals worked.
There are some really top notch (pun) crossbow makers - but good ones are expensive...very. If you have one of those the makers name should be easy.

I remember once (in Germany) at a work do, after a few rounds of Glubwein we went to the medieval themed fare where we could fire a crossbow with semi-live ammo at a target about 3 meters in front of us...semi live means that the steel heads were rounded rather than sharp. All well and good till one of them hit a metal bit on the target and bounce off...into the crowd :shock:

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby ivanthehunter on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:42 pm

I know its an old post but its full full of bad info:
Here is the real truth.
Crossbows are not illegal nor have they be illegal in my life time. Before 1990 anyone could buy a crossbow- I bought one when i was 16years old but my father found it and destroyed it.. I suppose he was looking after me!
After 1990 crossbows were included in to the definitions of a firearm.
http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1990/en/ ... a12y1990s4

Now that was fine . But in reality this was a fringe activity and was easily attacked. Currently there are only about 75 licenced crossbows in ROI :shock: . Now I'd imagine theres quite a few in the back of garages and sheds all over the country that have just sat there since 1990.

Recently new legislation has come into being and it has been very unkind to crossbow. The law now classes them as a restricted firearm. Restricted firearms general considered more dangerous than standard firearm. Example .308( or 7.62mm) hunting rifle Bolt Action is not restricted but an AK47 firing 7.62mm bullets in semi auto or fully auto is restricted and so is a crossbow.. You can still own one but the security requirements for home storage are ridiculous, especially if you already own a standard firearm.
Only people with one standard non restricted shotgun can keep it without a safe but it must be broke up a hide and fitted with trigger lock. See Links
http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Restricte ... 20S.I..pdf
ivanthehunter
Full Name: Ivan R Hunter

Postby ivanthehunter on Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:54 pm

Also in reality a crossbow is not a firearm as it does not spit fire but it is an arm, as is a longbow. The definition that states that "any object is a firearm if it is capable of discharging any bullet missile or other object" is not of concern to longbows as they do not have a port or hole through which the missile is discharged.

Discharge is only really possible through an orifice and to state otherwise is talking from said orifice.. ;)

Some members here would love to make there own (me too), but unfortunately the short shortness of the legal asses (the law is an ass) has blocked enthusiasts from doing so.
According to Irish law no one is allowed make or repair firearms unless they are a registered firearms dealer which comes with a fee of €1000/year.. :cry:

What a sorry state of affairs!!
ivanthehunter
Full Name: Ivan R Hunter

Postby barry on Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:10 pm

Hi all
Thanks for the info.
Barry
None
barry
Active Newbie

Postby wwebb on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:34 am

ivanthehunter wrote:Also in reality a crossbow is not a firearm as it does not spit fire but it is an arm, as is a longbow. The definition that states that "any object is a firearm if it is capable of discharging any bullet missile or other object" is not of concern to longbows as they do not have a port or hole through which the missile is discharged.

Discharge is only really possible through an orifice and to state otherwise is talking from said orifice.. ;)

Some members here would love to make there own (me too), but unfortunately the short shortness of the legal asses (the law is an ass) has blocked enthusiasts from doing so.
According to Irish law no one is allowed make or repair firearms unless they are a registered firearms dealer which comes with a fee of €1000/year.. :cry:

What a sorry state of affairs!!

Oh! That was a spoonful of information right there.
In regards to the laws, and in my own opinion they were just protecting any citizen from getting hurt or injure from mischief. But with regards to enthusiasm of making a bow or a xbow, I'll be in your side for it prevent anyone from showing its skill and talents as well as the ideas were prevented.
Police breached the rights of a man arrested with a cross bow near the G20 security fence when they questioned him without a lawyer present, a judge has ruled.
wwebb
Full Name: Wilson Webb

Postby Nerva on Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:09 pm

Salvete Omnes!

Crossbows MUST be licensed in Ireland, that's the law.

Valete,

Nerva.
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby wwebb on Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:55 am

Yeah.
We all know that kind of weapon or anything you call it, must have a license in order to classify who owns and has responsibilities on the said thing.
Police breached the rights of a man arrested with a cross bow near the G20 security fence when they questioned him without a lawyer present, a judge has ruled.
wwebb
Full Name: Wilson Webb

Previous

Return to General Chat