Clontarf Plans and Ideas.

Moderator: the_power

Re: Clontarf Plans and Ideas.

Postby Gaelknight on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:18 pm

the_power wrote:I would expect that we'll run a few trial runs of Clontarf, before 2014.

That would be the undoubted smartest move. The interest in a 1000th anniversary event would be enormous by early medieval reenactors from literally all over the world, possibly eclipsing any Hastings reenactment (except for 2066 which very few of us will be around for).

A few dry runs before hand would ensure the actual bash would be a knockout.

Brendan
Gaelknight
Full Name: Brendan Cronin

Postby nathan on Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:01 pm

well some might have realised that 2014-16 will be huge years for reenacting as the anniverserys of clontarf(1000years) agincourt(600years) and hastings(950years) will all be on each year in that order i myself cant wait. although does anyone know if there is anything big happening for agincourt?
well it should be good
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby Swifty on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:02 pm

I find your 2014-16 Hiberno-Anglo-French set of anniversaries interesting. From an Irish point of view though I would be more interested in seeing, yes indeed, Clontarf re-enacted properly - and not some generic multi-period show btw - there is a huge world community of Dark Age re-enactors who would support this event. One thousand year anniversaries should not be taken too lightly! But also, the 1315 invasion of Ireland by Edward de Bruce would be worthy of commemoration by the country's medieval living history community and obviously 1916 will be the big event of the following year - how about the Battle of Mount Street? 1616 was the year when Hugh O'Neill died in Rome - something which should also be noted on the calendar in 2016.
D Swift www.claiomh.ie c.795-1660
Swifty
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Swift

Postby nathan on Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:55 pm

no il say this now and state what i feel needs to be said about clontarf. (controversial i know) clontarf was about irish beating vikings and if we irish are to reenact it then that is all it should be. thats that. i would not show up at lets say a commemoration of the somme dressed as a viking. those who have interest and are involed with other periods and want to lend a hand fair play. if you lack time money or what ever else to get trained and kitted for clontarf then there is a myriad of other things you can do to help. even just get the word out there to the people u know who could do it or even who want to come and spectate will make a difference. i want this to rival hastings and i want it to be the most memorable show in my life and i will do all i can to achieve that. but it is viking and irish nothing else not multi period in any way. it should be done as best we can and we all need to do what we can for it.
so whos with me? :lol:
i will not argue this point im saying my piece and that is that. i want this to be done well thats all.
regards
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:40 pm

no il say this now and state what i feel needs to be said about clontarf. (controversial i know) clontarf was about irish beating vikings and if we irish are to reenact it then that is all it should be. thats that.

I'd recommend you read a book on the subject. Saying that Clontarf was about "Irish beating Vikings" is about as simple-minded as saying World War II was about Good versus Evil.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Dave Mooney on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:59 am

"Irish beating Vikings"

That's gold! I shed a tiny tear laughing at that one. The thrust of Nathan's argument is solid however! This is a historic calendar date that's well known and the only deviation I'd settle for is perhaps having to move the main event to the Summer as opposed to good Friday. (With suitable recognition on the Good Friday however) We covered that earlier in this thread.

But as our vision statement will highlight, this wont be just one event in St. Ann's Park, or a field in Fingal, of a Good Friday. I would discourage any other era side show stuff. This is not a multi-period thing or platform for recruitment. It must be a 're-enactment' in the fullest sense. I'd be really disappointed if the bones of a small heritage park aren't built for this, it should be that big.

That's a real healthy list of commemorations we have there.

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby nathan on Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:51 pm

oh i know its not a simple case of irish beating vikings but that is the popular public opinion and what they will see. i know the history of the battle and events leading to it but mt point is that it was important and should be handled well . the history is another matter and i know about the events leading to the battle the battle and even events in my locality during it. i just dont exactly have the time to go into an in depth historical fore note with each comment i post i thought the people here might appereciate that issue. and as for size if we try there probably is a good location that could be found
regards
nathan
nathan
Active Newbie

Postby martynm on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Regarding the comments by the Administrators! At Nathans thoughts on Clontarf? I thought every body had a right to voice their opinion on LH,ie without having to be put down by self opinionated Botty holes who get off on panning people just because disagree with their point of view? what ever happened to discussing a topic with a view to compromise? so far a lot of the points put forward by people myself included! have been put down in an Insulting manner! is being allowed to continue as if this is their private website! everybody's opinion should be treated as a valuable addition to such an important undertaking such as The Battle Of Clontarf! and not defecated upon from a great height! get your act sorted out!

Martyn: K.H.I/Cu Glas Re-enactment.

Edited for profanity, spelling, punctuation and just for the hell of it :lol: See you Saturday Martyn :D
KOR
IT"S WHAT I DO !
martynm
Full Name: martynm

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:28 pm

If you read it again Martyn you'll see John and I might have been pedantic and/or finding funny Nathan's cutting down of the history. And if you pay particular attention to my post I agree that he's right about it being period specific and multi period should have no place at or about the Clontarf events! My opinion didn't contradict anything he said. I just found his 'History sound byte' amusing.
He's told us he knows the score re. the full history and that smacked us nice! :oops:

And anyway we're users 8-) more than we're moderators/admin :geek: / :ugeek: .
I only ever give you what for when you come on every blue moon starting trouble!

Does any of the other moderators want to pick up on the unprecedented name calling there?
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby brendan on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:19 pm

every body had a right to voice thier opionion on LH,ie without having to be put down by self opinionated Arseholes

Martyn, everybody means everybody. You have just done what you accuse Dave and John of doing!

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat