Postby brendan on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:54 am

Erp :!: :shock: :? :oops:
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Re: Clontarf Plans and Ideas.

Postby Dave Mooney on Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:25 am

I think he inhaled! :o

Lads, the idea is we all submit to 'The Brendan report' not wait about to see what wagon we climb on. It's a collection of all 'our' ideas, big, small, good or bad. Submissions should be made direct to him, not nessacerally here on LH.ie.
Brendan's only acting as a compiler at this stage.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby guthroth on Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Hi

I'm not a local, in fact I'm a member of The Vikings in the UK. I was part of the organising team for Hastings in 2000 and 2006, and I've helped run a number of other events over the years. I was at Leixlip in 1999 and at Bunratty earlier this year, and I've attended a number of other overseas events in Europe, the US and Canada over my 20+ years in the hobby.

I can tell you now, there is already a fair bit of interest over here in a Clontarf event, and certainly many people would be looking to travel. I believe that - finances permitting - you could also count on travellers from the near continent, the US, Canada and maybe even Australia.

I assume this will be a public event like Hastings. In that case you need to get an idea of numbers likely to attend - re-enactors and public - and first find a venue and a date.

The site needs to be big enough to accomodate the battlefield, the LH, the plastic camp, the traders area and a car park.

I would suggest you talk with Kees Nieuwenhuijsen in Holland. He was a major organiser in getting the Vlaardingen event organised this year, and he can probably offer some good pointers.

Finally, despite the understandable desire to be as equitable as possible towards other re-enactors, I feel it only fair to say that you will need to create teams to deal with the many authenticity, combat and administrative questions that arise. Once they exist, everyone has to abide by their decisions without argument - especially on 'the day'.

Pete
Literature stops in 1100.
After that it's just books.
J.R.R. Tolkien
guthroth
Full Name: Pete James - Guthroth

Postby Seathrun on Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:19 am

Hello all,
Pete took the words out of my mouth. I know a large group in North America is interested and a few of my Aussi friends want to play as well. A LH camp would be a great way to educate the public and would add greatly to the show. As for adding to the Geal side a comprehensive kit guide with sample photos is a great help. A set of combat and safety test rules publish and maybe even tested for ahead of times would be nice. A lot of us from NA were tested out for kit and weapons for Hastings prior to flying over. If we use something similar to the Vikes UK rules it may simplify adding people from outside Ireland since those standards are in use here, Austrailia, Italy, Spain and a few other places. Some one to put kit guildes up for the Eastern Europeans in an appropriate language could be nice too. It may help avoid some of the "miss understandings" that have happened on the main land or at Man etc. Either way count me in.

Seathrun
http://www.ravensborg.org/
Trí labra ata ferr túa: ochán ríg do chath, sreth immais, molad iar lúag.
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie
Full Name: Seathrun (Seth)

Postby knightofredemption on Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:04 pm

Guys
Thank you very much for your input and support. I know that we are all exited to hear of your interest, and it's a big step towards it becoming real :D

I am sure you will be contacted soon by those brave individuals out there who are setting the foundations down for this event. 8-)

Welcome to the forum, and to the build up of an event that will be something special.

Paul
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby Dave Mooney on Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:56 pm

Yes, bloody good comments fellows! Keep em coming! We'll take all that is useful and thank you for the rest :)

Dave.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby Seathrun on Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 am

the_power wrote:
My personal opinion is that swords were seen as sidearms, not primary weapons. Try take on a fast spearman with a 65cm blade & a small shield, and you'd know why. Perhaps the Vikings changed that idea to a small extent, with longer blades of stronger steel which were more appropriate. The munstermen did use viking-sized shields - perhaps they took to Viking-style swords too; no proof though.

While the native Irish certainly did use working axes as opportunistic weapons - Hugh de Lacy was killed by a wood-axe - the first references to an Irish axeman in battle were the Laigin around 869. Few societies around the world used an axe as a weapon...and the Irish and the Vikings among the few cultures to develop such obviously refined battleaxes.

John

This has me thinking on the kit guide, do we want different weapon choices by race or region?
Seth
Three speeches that are better than silence: inciting a king to battle,spreading knowledge, praise after reward.
Seathrun
Active Newbie

Postby the_power on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:21 am

That's a tricky question; part of me would like to use a kit guide as an excuse to make sure the four different components looked a little different; you should be able to tell munstermen from leinstermen, and Dubliners from Corkmen, maybe even Man vikings from their Irish brethern.

Even if we could say "50% of munstermen should have spears, big shields, and big swords, 100% of leinstermen have spears and small swords"...but I've not done the research. I'll look into it this month.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Seathrun on Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:02 pm

Well sign me up as a Munsterman. That would by my Maloney side coming out. I do think that division could add to the show. I dont know how I feel about the "foot ball" announcer idea from H2006 but that would make it easier for the public to understand what they are seeing. "Brian's forces from Cork are moving in on Sitric's" etc
Seth
Seathrun
Active Newbie

Postby RecycledViking on Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:24 pm

Where do we find enough bodies we can field, thirty bodies on a lawn is not going to hack it ! We are looking at a least a thousand and more. Where will they come from ? A lot of the numbers will be from across the sea and we need to look after them when they get here.
Yes, please. I'm already getting ready for this and I hope to have a group of my own in 2014 (Hel, I'll probably have a doctorate and husband then!). Good hospitality for non-Irishers can make or break this event. If the olive branch is extended for non-Europeans this will be a fantastic opportunity for international fellowship, however if snobbery on the part of the "natives" is an issue it'll really dampen things for everyone.
Of particular importance is the fact that people who cannot drive to Dublin will have a massive handicap when it comes to equipment. It's tough enough getting spears and shields across continents (although admittedly I've never tried) but it would be exhorbitantly expensive to downright impossible to bring enough gear for proper camping and more complex LH displays. I'm not saying that whoever ends up "hosting" Clontarf must provide period lodging for faraway visitors (I'd rather be based in a hotel than nowhere), but I can at least suggest that the (hopefully) great number of foreigners will affect the sleeping/living arrangements of however the event is set up.
That's it! I'm going to start building a knorr in the garden just so I can get all the eastern seaboard Yanks' gear to Clontarf properly :lol: Hopefully the Dublin port authorities won't mind, I'll just call it Sea Stallion II...
'I think Yank, but maybe Æsir'
RecycledViking
Full Name: Annie Humphrey

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat