Clontarf Plans and Ideas.

Moderator: the_power

Re: Clontarf Plans and Ideas.

Postby Dave Mooney on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Hey Bren, It just needs a filter fitted to it, a swipe off the PR department and if that dosn't work basic graphics...in crayon if needed.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby brendan on Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

hmmm, maybe...biggest problem was linguistic: The easiest (to me) way of expressing the stuff discussed involved a type of 'business' language that is inaccessible to lots of people.
Also, while I managed to get a good mix of a)what people thing should happen and b) how exactly it should be done (with a lot of detail) the two things don't really belong in the one document...maybe I will get back to it
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Andrea L Redden on Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 am

Hello Guys!

Know I've been away for a fair while, but it doesn't look like anything at all has been said about Clontarf in all that time. :-( ARE there any plans afoot? It's only a couple of years away now. The airfare from Australia will set me back somewhere in the vicinity of AUD3000:EUR2260 (not countng gratuitous amounts of excess luggage) and it would be nice to know in advance that there will be something to fly 30-36 hours to turn up FOR apart from catching up with my LH.ie friends in the local pub.

Hugs,

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby brendan on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 am

Andrea,
at the moment it's not looking good. The government are throwing money and effort into commemorating WW1 starting with 2014 and that will focus on the many Irish who fought and died in that war. 2016 will see a commemoration of the Easter Rising. At this point there is nothing clear and obvious that definitely will happen on sufficient scale to warrant that level of spend.
Some people have made big efforts to make some stuff related to Clontarf happen but AFAIK the corporation have lost interest (my interpretation of very little information so it may be way off). Not entirely surprising of the same body as built on Wood Quay.

It is possible that something significant can happen in 2014 but there is no guarantee of it at this stage. :(
The pub bit we can manage :)

Brendan
*Note: Not saying WW1 shouldn't be commemorated
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby Andrea L Redden on Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:16 pm

They have a 1000 year anniversary coming up of a significant event in Irish history and they can't be f****d getting off their a***s and either organising anything or throwing significant money at someone who can?!

I mentioned Clontarf on the Aussie LH list a while ago and there were people who said they were interested in coming 17-18,000kms for an 'Event' if it were organised. The Corporation itself CBF though?

The word "pathetic" is about as polite as I can get if that's true. :-(

Sheesh!

So how good IS this pub then? Do they have Glayva? LOTS of Glayva by the way things are(n't) going. I'll be there!

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby brendan on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:17 pm

I had never heard of Glava before now, but I am sure we could get somewhere good to get it in special :)
...I was about to go on a rant about our tourism and heritage bodies but decided to stop myself...you make a very good point though
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby Morcant on Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:10 pm

We would be a few Bretons happy to bolster Boruma's ranks as Gaels if something even of medium scale happens.
Morcant
Full Name: Benjamin Franckaert

Postby jaspergreen on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:15 am

Gentlemen & Gentlewomen;

I am speaking on behalf of a number of American Reenactors who have been interested for several years in travelling to Ireland for the Millenial event for Clontarf. We want to liaison with Irish groups to assist in the effort, help with logistics, etc. We hear snippets of information, that the reenactment will take place on Bull Island, other disjointed tidbits of information.

What is the status of reenactment planning? Is there any interest in having reenactor involvement from here in the States?

jeff Miller
Sean Artuir O'Maollain
(My Great - Grandad)
jaspergreen
Full Name: Jeff Miller

Postby brendan on Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm

Jeff,
something will definitely happen. The details of what and when are still unclear.

The anniversary of the battle is in April. That would seem a logical time to have the event. Another option is to have the event in June/July when the weather is better.

At the moment it looks like:
- Something will definitely happen in the region of Killaloe (where Brian Boru was from) - This is the bit I am involved in.
- AFAIK There are a few people looking at a Dublin event - not necessarily working together. It will almost certainly be in the region of Clontarf though where exactly is probably a matter of speculation at this stage.

The real question to me is whether we (in Ireland) can deliver an event that is worth people traveling half way around the world to get to.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie

Postby finnobreanan on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Keep us posted and I will keep saving money for the next trip to Ireland. :D
Finn O'Breanan
Wood Kerne

"...The O'Brennans, a sept of thieves without any right or title, ... were a perpetual disturbance to the peace of the county,"
finnobreanan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Scott Cross

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat