suggest ways to improve re-enactment

Moderator: the_power

Re: suggest ways to improve re-enactment

Postby vlasta on Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:03 pm

wiblick wrote:We need to create a family atmosphere by a stronger emphasis on the LH camp and then we need to recruit in families. It needs to be camping in costume with fun for all the family!

No, no, no, no, no,
What's the point of recruiting people, who aren't interested in re-enactment? I mean, really interested, not with 'oh, why not to try?' attitude. Isn't it better to have in re-enactment group people, who want to do re-enactment, and not only family picnics with marshmallows? That kind of people, who have fun with reading books, doing kits, learning crafts etc., not people who don't give a damn about it and have to be encouraged in some special way to do that ?
Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against families, who want to do re-enactment, but it's up to them to find out, what exactly they want to do. If you force people to do something, it won't last.
By the way, LH is not only fighting. Music, dances, games, storrytelling, various crafts, cooking - lots of activities one can do, regardless of gender, age and so on.
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Postby gaius marius on Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:28 pm

bannerman wrote:By the way I should also give an honourable mention to Mock A.K.A. Tony Vaughan of the Leinster Regiment from Monasterevin who not only does a WW1 campsite with full kit - about 90% of the kit he displays is origional British Army issue from the war!!! And as for the replicas its a stomach churning sight after a night drinking like a black and tan to see Tony wolfing down Corned beef from a replica WW1 issue tin! :oops: Talk about accuracy. Good man Mock.

HARDCORE MAN 8-)
"The Kaiser knows the Munsters,
by the Shamrock on their caps,
And the famous Bengal Tiger, ever ready for a scrap,
And all his big battalions, Prussian Guards and grenadiers,
Fear to face the flashing bayonets of the Munster Fusiliers."

Go bua
gaius marius
Active Newbie

Postby wiblick on Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:31 am

vlasta wrote:That kind of people, who have fun with reading books, doing kits, learning crafts etc., not people who don't give a damn about it and have to be encouraged in some special way to do that ?

We're hardly talking about forcing people to do re-enactment who have no interest, that would be impossible and ludicrous.

What we're talking about is making re-enactment a more well rounded hobby so as that all genders and age groups can find a niche within it.

I've found a staggering lack of interest in history, crafts and kit & activities other than fighting in the medieval scene here. It's more like knacker drinking in kit than re-enactment. When I joined I thought there would be encampents where people 'lived' for the weekend as period people (at least while the public are around) - that doesn't happen most of the time.

[the other extreme being of course the museum displays where you are giving a demo all day, stood behind a table like a school teacher]
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aoife

Postby vlasta on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:51 am

wiblick wrote:What we're talking about is making re-enactment a more well rounded hobby so as that all genders and age groups can find a niche within it.

But don't you think it's up to "all genders and age groups" representatives to find an activity, which suits them? And then simply do that, whatever it is - sewing, shooting dice, cooking dinner in the cauldron (instead of buying it in take-away round the corner), or even taking pictures. If they won't create on their own a nice camp, with crafts and all the period daily life going on, I doubt, if anyone will do that for them. :(
I know, I know, sounds like "“Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country" :)
But one thing, that could really help, is to have some permanent settlement, like Regia's Anglorum Wychurst http://www.wychurst.com/mainindex.htm - even a hut or two and a piece of land - it's much easier to organise something in environment like that.

BTW, I found once the webpage of the group of ladies, re-enacting of medieval bathhouse. - http://www.dielanden.nl/groepen/primopensio/ , isn't it a great idea?
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Postby brendan on Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:44 pm

BTW, I found once the webpage of the group of ladies, re-enacting of medieval bathhouse. - http://www.dielanden.nl/groepen/primopensio/ , isn't it a great idea?

...I followed the link. And managed to understand some of the text :o :shock:

A fixed base is a great idea and a worthy aspiration, but for it to work it needs to be sustainable i.e. Has a group using it regularly who are also willing to maintain it once it is built. And this requires that the group is big enough that it is not always the same 3 or 4 people doing the stuff (In my opinion).
In relation to Vlasta's question, I appreciate the sentiment, but does this not mean that people who are only partially interested are barred from the hobby? (And is this a good thing??)

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby gobae on Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:15 pm

We're hardly talking about forcing people to do re-enactment who have no interest, that would be impossible and ludicrous.

True enough, but I think the heart and "gist" of Vlasta's post is not to bend over backwards to try to attract families (or any specific demographic) since that will change what your group is. An example of this is the SCA; they bend over backwards to attract new members and in so doing have become a gigantic mish-mash.

Our group decided early on to remain true to our goals even if it meant foregoing new members. Our brochures are at hand free for the taking, but we don't do a hard sell. If the person is unsure, it's up to them to show up and decide if we're right for them; we don't cajole or bend our focus just so they will come.

That said 75% of our membership are family groups.
gobae
Full Name: Dan Crowther

Postby wiblick on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:06 pm

gobae wrote:Our group decided early on to remain true to our goals

Your group has goals. Your group has structure and has attracted a solid group of people who participate in many different activities. You have tents and equipment and a high level of participation. You do projects. We're a long way from that at the moment in the majority of medieval re-enactment in Ireland.

In Ireland the SCA is made up mostly of Americans & continental europeans and is about the only group I know of who has regular meetings and training and arts & crafts sessions. They rent halls in the winter for practices and meet for feasts and other social occassions.

Here in Ireland anything that anyone can cite to me will be the exception that proves the rule.
I am off active duty for 2009 & 2010. I continue to research but will be attending few if any shows for these two years. I got some chickens and hope to bring them along with a more fully rounded household display in 2011.
wiblick
Active Newbie

Postby wiblick on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:11 pm

I'm not talking about the hard sell, or persuading people to join who have no interest, just as I would never try to persuade partners (to join in) who justifiably have no interest in sitting around while the boys hit and backslap each other alternately in a muddy field.

Re-enactment doesn't have to *be* anything I suppose. It's just when I went in search of a group in Ireland (having seen UK groups on the telly and been to Ren Faire) I expected something like that. Naturally I didn't expect Ren Faire...

I just wish the hobby here could grow.
wiblick
Active Newbie

Postby gobae on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:36 pm

Your group has goals. Your group has structure and has attracted a solid group of people who participate in many different activities. You have tents and equipment and a high level of participation. You do projects. We're a long way from that at the moment in the majority of medieval re-enactment in Ireland.

It sounds almost like you're saying that there are very few groups, and everyone just does their own thing on their own time? Am I understanding that correctly?
gobae
Full Name: Dan Crowther

Postby wiblick on Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:12 pm

gobae wrote:It sounds almost like you're saying that there are very few groups, and everyone just does their own thing on their own time? Am I understanding that correctly?

I'm not sure what I'm saying any more. The re-enactment population is tiny. Other than the SCA I think I could nearly name every individual, or I have at least met most of them.

I'm all for everyone doing things there own way. And I'm only talking about the medieval scene (400-1500). I would just like to see more crafts & encampments and better kit and people cooking and crafting and doing. I've never witnessed a bustling camp here.

And we don't need a permanent site, and we don't need funding and we don't need whatever other MAJOR OBSTACLE people can think of. We need more people.
wiblick
Active Newbie

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat