Gender Roles in Re-enactment

Moderator: the_power

Re: Gender Roles in Re-enactment

Postby Leinsterman on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:25 pm

ciaranc wrote:the focus in Ireland has began to shift from a bit of living history supporting a battle to a battle supporting the living history which I believe is a good thing.

Well said.
'Paper never refused ink'
Leinsterman
Full Name: Kevin O'Toole

Postby redrazors on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:55 pm

for most of the periods i do i have been sticking with the womany stuff, and that as a matter of choice. but i have no interest in doing female ACW living history, and i would hate to feel under pressure [from the reenactment community at large, mind, not the pards!] to do so. i have been made feel nothing but welcome by them, and treated from the outset as though i can make a valuable contribution to the group. thanks for the words of encouragement, dave and liam :D

the_power wrote:I don't expect soldiers to catch a dose of dysentery when they turn up on a field. But I'll expect a woman fighting as a Norman to wear a face-helm, and the armour to go with it. Or wear a beard.

noone is disputing the necessity to field in such a fashion; we are disputing having the chance to field at all.
By the 17thC, 10% of londoners were black, so there is no problem for later periods.

black people in london in the 17thC is neither typical for ireland nor pertinent for earlier periods of history. anyways, i suppose i wasn't quite bringing it up for discussion as using it to make a parallel - as far as i'm concerned, the "women off the field" debate is basically a form of racism, as it is actively discriminating against a section of the reenacting populace based on no other reason than physical attributes. and then passing it off as 'authenticity'.
"Put not youre handes in youre hosen, youre codware for to clawe."
redrazors
Full Name: Pvt. BOB

Postby Nerva on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:28 am

Where's my bloody dinner :!:
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby RecycledViking on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:32 am

Woo! Go Bob!

I think something to remember is that no one, not even the dumbest MOP, thinks we have stepped out of a time machine. They know that we're real people - maybe crazy, maybe weird - but still real 21st century people. If a MOP sees a person of a different gender or a different appearance than they'd expect, they're going to know something's up and at the worst ask about it.

The only time I can imagine people being selected for their appearance is, say, if a photograph for a history book or a film is being made. But that's not living history, that's performance art.

In Ireland racism in re-enactment is not an issue, since the tiny minorities of 'not European' and 'pre-modern re-enactment' have not intersected (YET). In the States, however, medieval living history is immediately getting into hot water, Norse/Germanic in particular like stepping into a pot already boiling.

Racism and white supremacy idiots are a serious issue here and you have to be really careful what words you use and who you associate with. The Ásatrú kindred I hang out with here once discovered a Neonazi in their midst and that caused a real discomfort, both to eject the guy as well as clean up their image.

And when I was thinking of a name for a re-enactment group to start, I immediately thought of 'Vínlanders' 'cause we'd be doing living history on the north-east coast... Nope! Turns out Vínland has been co-opted by Norse racists who think that 'Cause the Norse got here first America should really be controlled by Scandinavians' (which is SUCH bullcrap anyway seeing as those NATIVE AMERICANS were here LONG BEFORE the Norse and in fact KICKED THEM OUT) but anyway I digress, this forum's about gender isn't it? :oops:

Well anyway, it's apparent that gender and ethnicity fall under the same uncomfortable question of 'How authentic is too authentic?'.

And as an aside, Andrew would really like to have a gig where everyone only speaks Old Irish or Norse...if we got to that level of authenticity I would gladly be chained to the cooking fire!
Ní tabair claidbiu donaib mnáib arná marbat nech (Do not give swords to the women lest they kill someone)!
Last edited by RecycledViking on Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
'I think Yank, but maybe Æsir'
RecycledViking
Full Name: Annie Humphrey

Postby Nerva on Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:42 am

Quis Latium?
Vale

Marcvs Vlpius Nerva

Legion Ireland - Roman Military Society of Ireland
Pilus Prior Cohors VIII Legionis XX Valeria Victrix

http://www.romanarmy.ie

info@romanarmy.ie

nerva@romanarmy.ie
Nerva
Active Newbie
Full Name: Martin McAree

Location: Corcagia, Hibernia Pronvincia - Cork, Ireland, to you Barbarians!

Postby Billy on Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:50 am

Quis Latium?

Solus sacerdos!
Billy MagFhloinn
Billy
Active Newbie

Postby RecycledViking on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:21 pm

Et discipuli secundi quod est "nerdii" :lol:

Hic est unum linum! Et mihi Latina robiginosa...mea culpa
RecycledViking

Postby Leinsterman on Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:25 pm

Qua est is sermo iens?
'Paper never refused ink'
Leinsterman
Full Name: Kevin O'Toole

Postby martynm on Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:33 pm

Living history! Water bearers! Wenches!Archers!dancers! eye Candy! no problem!! Warriors ? taking part in Weapons combat??? :shock: nah! don't think so, its a Mans game not for the Girlies or the girlie boys :lol: But for Men ! there has to be a line drawn somewhere! and unless we want to listen to endless complaints and moaning about how Rough we are and how hard we hit them it will all end in us swinging hand bags at each other and stoping to apply our Mascara and have a makeup party instead of a training session! so!! I say no way!! :twisted:

:D Martyn Cu-Glas/Knight Hospitaller Re-enactment.
IT"S WHAT I DO !
martynm
Full Name: martynm

Postby RecycledViking on Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:14 pm

or the girlie boys
Well, guess that means Martin's out.
moaning about how Rough we are
... :shock: ...leaving that one alone
swinging hand bags at each other
Hand bags...of BRICKS! :D
have a makeup party instead of a training session!
Kind of reminds me of Sunday night at Leitrim '07...

I think the real fear of women fighting is if the men forget to protect the goods, it's a weakness they can't exploit in the ladies! :twisted:
RecycledViking

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat