Board content

Moderator: the_power

Do you think they amount of chatter on the boards is pleasant ?

I love the chatter, it helps create a sense of community
50%
I feel guilty for it, but take part from time to time
11%
I can ignore it, but it's detracting from the site
23%
I wish most of it would go away
15%

Total votes : 26

Re: Board content

Postby Andrea L Redden on Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:26 am

knightofredemption wrote:I think general chat covers off topic stuff nicely. Though folk sometimes use that for good stuff that should go into one of the other topics

I use "General Chat" for multi-period stuff more than anything. Saves asking the same question on several different forums.

Andrea
Full Name: Andrea L Willett

Postby gobae on Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:45 pm

I know I post and visit much less than I used to specifically because there IS so much chatter; so I feel there's little worth replying to. Another reason I don't come around has to do with the WWII flame wars. I must say after seeing a few of those posts I've been really soured and put off to the whole concept of WWII re-enacting, as well as being concerned about getting flamed myself over some misunderstanding or silly comment I might make.
gobae
Full Name: Dan Crowther

Postby knightofredemption on Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:06 pm

It has to be said it did show them in a less than favorable light, but the moderator team are here to ensure that situation does not arise again. You will find things have settled down and the signal to noise ratio is greatly reduced.
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby bannerman on Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:29 am

Hello all,
I dont post that regularily but do keep an eye on the board, the reason for this if that I am terrible with computers for example in order to give a long and detailed answer to a query on Uniforms in 1916-1923 I only recently found out how to copy sections of my research straight on to the board instead of printing the sections and typing them all out again! (Yes I am actually that bad with computors!!! :oops: ) In future I hope to post more stuff and start a few threads on specific stuff to do with 1916 - 1921 re-enactment. There are a number of things however which are very off putting;

1 People using this site to bitch and whine at each other in personal battles. - Thankfully this seems to have halted recently - well done the management!

2 People being prolific posters but not saying very much ie. congratulating a group on a new project, then congratulating on anything they say that you agree with but not adding anything of their to the debate/ topic/ conversation afterwards. I could be wrong but there seems to be a lot of very short posts with smilies that wish people well, but beyond that dont conribute. Dont get me wrong, this isnt a bad thing per say but it can be annoying to see a lot of posts that just read.

Well done :D We drank ye under the table last time :lol: Ye wont be saying that after thenext battle ;)
Oh no my spears gone soggy :mrgreen:
You get the idea

3 People posting the same topic or question a number of times. I wonder is this done because people are unsure of how to use the site, because the want a high number of posts after their name, or because if the pose the question "Were X Battalion in Poland in WW2?" and the get a definative negative answer two new topics then appear reading "Battalions in Poland WW2" and or "If X Battalion werent in Poland in WW2 who was there" Surely all these could be answered in the one topic without starting multiple topics.

4 People posting up lots of very general historical matieral on different battles (that apparently they have lifted from some other resource and not posted themselves - though thats not necessarily a bad thing) but it reads like a junior cert history book. There was a battle here in 1601, heres the info.
There was a battle here in 1602, heres the info
There was a battle here in 1603... and so on. Its all very general, very boring reading & anyone doing the period should know it allready, it dosent get to grips about how we can go about re-enacting the battle, tips for kit, new research etc...

Well thats my two Cents worth. Ill be looking at how well I use the site in future and hopefully contrabuting more.

Slan Tamaill
Padraig
http://www.warofindependence.net/

"Is doigh linn gur mor iad na daoine mora mar atamuid fein ar ar nglunaibh. - Eirimis!!!"
Jim Larkin 1913
bannerman
Active Newbie
Full Name: Padraig O Ruairc

Postby brendan on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:05 pm

Hug!
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby brendan on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:09 pm

OK, that was trite.
I just happened on this thread (finally getting back to e-enabled land).
The same question getting asked multiple times is common on forums. The usual solution is to refer back to the original post - either say "Go look its already been posted" or if you are able then copy/paste the web address of that post.

As regards copy/paste of other people's research I think that it makes the poster look bad. I would rather see "based on author x I think..." rather than a transcript. Maybe a summary - but only if it is relevant.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Previous

Return to General Chat