Board content

Moderator: the_power

Do you think they amount of chatter on the boards is pleasant ?

I love the chatter, it helps create a sense of community
50%
I feel guilty for it, but take part from time to time
11%
I can ignore it, but it's detracting from the site
23%
I wish most of it would go away
15%

Total votes : 26

Re: Board content

Postby redrazors on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:03 pm

having made more than one in my time, i'm all for quips and one-liners amongst the more serious replies. once they don't lose the run of themselves in the thread, what's the problem? if it was an actual real-time conversation, noone would turn around and say, "sorry, you can't say that - we're having a serious conversation here". you laugh and carry on with what you were talking about. there is a savage amount of banter had amongst ourselves in real life and it's difficult to leave that behind just because you are on the internet instead.

other phpbb boards i use have flash chat enabled - could that be used here to avoid people having a general conversation in a thread? or just publicise the PM system?
"Put not youre handes in youre hosen, youre codware for to clawe."
redrazors
Full Name: Pvt. BOB

Postby knightofredemption on Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:39 pm

I get you, but a live conversation is not recorded and kept, and if it was it would be edited in just the way we are doing. I for one don't want to stop that live interaction I do it myself...but I have started deleting my quips as soon as they have served their purpose so as not to leave threads with good info on them look untidy and/or difficult to follow. And to be fair if I was deep in conversation with someone and a third person kept butting in with erroneouse (sp?) comments I would soon tell them where to get off :lol:
Everything in moderation, including Moderation.
knightofredemption
Site Admin
Full Name: Paul Wickham

Postby the_power on Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:21 am

Well, there is #livinghistory on irc.ie.lspace.org - I was going to look into some sort of web-chat-applet thing. But then I found other things to do. So, feel free to bang those details into your chat client, and join me there.

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Dave Mooney on Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 am

Hi John, I don't know what to do with that info. I tried entering it into the browser but it goes to one of you buds linux sites..

Anyway, there has only been 19 votes on this subject in a month and keeping the chatter is way ahead, so where are the rest of the 500+ members?

I'd keep the chatter because it would be bad to dehumanise the boards altogether. You can see on some threads that if two people are slagging that the next person taking it seriously just comes in and resumes the thread. I think it's liveable with...if going to be a slight pain in the poss for whoever is Moding it.
Dave Mooney.
Mogh Roith- Historical Living History Group. http://moghroith.org
Dave Mooney
Active Newbie
Full Name: Dave Mooney

Postby knightofredemption on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:31 am

Yeah I tried it too, same thing, our web kung fu is not up to scratch Dave. :D It seems to be the norm on most of the boards that the ratio of posters to members seems to be about 10 to 1 or even less.I suppose the same is true in real life groupings of people, with a small selection vying to be the centre of attention and the rest content to be entertained. Here we have a small handful that post about proper historical stuff, they seem to stay in those areas of the site that interest them. A larger group that wander from place to place entering into debates about a broad swath of subjects, and a majority that in the parlance of the trade lurk. I think thats just the nature of the beast. It maybe also reflects the different ways people use the internet and social networking sites in particular. I know of some that spend all day on facebook, poking, throwing sheep and collecting a huge friends list of folk they never talk to. Others have small friend lists of people they want to talk to, and not throw sheep at.
Its a funny world and as someone once said "don't try to make sense of it, that way lies madness"
knightofredemption
Site Admin

Postby Leinsterman on Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:43 am

Oh, incidentally, anyone know why the Gardaí are so interested in contacting me about livinghistory.ie ?

John[/quote]

John, I think you should post some detail of the Garda contact, or at least email details to your moderators and not shoulder the burden of it on your own. Are they asking about edged weapons? proscribed organisations ?... what? From my contacts in UK I know the NARES re-enactment societies body deal with all sorts of police contacts. Enquiries from that source should be of concern to all. If it's mischief making by others, it can be soon identified.
'Paper never refused ink'
Leinsterman
Full Name: Kevin O'Toole

Postby knightofredemption on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:14 am

It was as you say some mischief making, by someone involving John and the forum in an external conflict. It is as far as I know resolved and the Mod team are here to help ensure that the situation does not arise again :D
knightofredemption
Site Admin

Postby Leinsterman on Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:27 pm

I echo the views of those who say a significant benefit of the site is about enhancing the sense of community among the re-enactors who use it.

But, I also see the point of not messing around with banter when people are posting serious research and are looking for feedback that encourages them to stay going.
The moderators should keep up the editing of the posts. I would go further and say they should continue to be tough where rules are broken.

The site is well laid out to allow for all. The Geneal Chat area should be just that, a discussion forum and a points of interest space. Serious research lines of communication should be confined under their period headings from the Board Index list. These research spaces should be strictly policed and no apology be needed for moderators taking down unrelated or frivulous comment here.

I beleive the site is well run and there is space for all. But moderators, kick ass, and keep us all on track. Then serious researchers will have no excuse for running out of ideas. :D
'Paper never refused ink'
Leinsterman
Full Name: Kevin O'Toole

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:50 pm

could we have an off topic section that way we could post up say non related articles and the mods could clean up and erase every fortnight or so . also just to point out , one cannot erase ones own posts once another person has posted after you , you can only edit the land locked post .
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Postby knightofredemption on Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:06 pm

:lol: Fair point I had forgotten that, I'll edit my post in "helping us" I think general chat covers off topic stuff nicely. Though folk sometimes use that for good stuff that should go into one of the other topics
knightofredemption
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat