Bone needles?

Moderator: the_power

Re: Bone needles?

Postby RecycledViking on Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:06 am

I'm in contact with Mary (of Sweetness & Light, candlemaker.org) and hoping to order and receive my bone needles soon :)
I'm also thinking of the nahlbinding bodkins, but after I get my woman's kit in order.
I didn't even think of using bone needles before this discussion and now I feel like I can't work without them! Thanks Monkey :D
'I think Yank, but maybe Æsir'
RecycledViking
Full Name: Annie Humphrey

Postby Freebeard on Sun Jun 29, 2008 10:10 pm

copper ight work for a bit, but to be honest it wouldn't be the best.
bronze is stronger than copper and would be better, but bone would be best for viking i think, as the majority of needles found throughout this age were made of bone. but thin bone needles are prone to breaking easier than you think, so a bit of care is needed.
but bone would be the best.
-'Dligid Diummus Dermat'

"Wyt ti’n ffrwtin fel gwyddel"
(you are farting like an irishman)
Freebeard
Active Newbie
Full Name: Aindrias Ó Broin

Postby vlasta on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:36 pm

If anyone would like to try and make bone needles, here is a short manual.
vlasta
Full Name: Dorota Rawicz-Lipinska

Postby Aislinn on Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:19 pm

Dave Mooney wrote:We bought brass pins (good but bend very easily- I reckon that's to be expected),
Good to know I'm not the only one. I bought some brass needles a few years ago - the one I use most has a distinct curve.
Aislinn

Postby the_power on Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:55 pm

Jaysus. I've sewn up ten or twenty helmets with my brass needles. I have a mini-anvil and a leather hammer that I use to beat them back straight after each line...I always picture the Classical Greeks standing on their bronze swords to straighten them after each clash...

John
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Postby Ronseal on Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:52 pm

I've read in several books, well for viking sewing at least bone needles were used but also iron or steel needles were used too. The metal needles could be made small eough indeed, constructed from two pins welded together then the eye filed down to smooth out the rough points around the welded sections so the needle could pass through the material more easily and not tear or damage it too much. Bone needles are better for wool, their tips are blunter so they nudge their way around and through existing gaps in the threads that comprise the wool.
In all I do cheat and use modern blunt steel needles for making wool garments but its easier and there is less strain and damage to the garment when the seam is completed. If using bone needles for a living history display, dont use it on fine woven wool or thick heavy/ rough herringbone, but a looser woven wool, its easier for you and at least if you make a balls of it you wont be as fussed with cheaper material, than with good fine wool.
Stone sir?
No they've got the lot there, lying around on the ground!
Ronseal
Full Name: Mark Corcoran

Postby panda on Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:44 am

Just a note on preparing the bone. Boiling the bones to clean them can weaken them. Yer better off finding your nearest anthill and letting them clean it out. No better way to remove all of the meat and marrow from it. :)
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby noodle on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:37 am

panda wrote:Just a note on preparing the bone. Boiling the bones to clean them can weaken them. Yer better off finding your nearest anthill and letting them clean it out. No better way to remove all of the meat and marrow from it. :)

Disputed. My brother could probably give the ants a run for their money.
Head in the clouds, feet in the grass, mind in the gutter...
noodle
Full Name: Niamh Carey

Postby panda on Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:51 am

noodle wrote:
panda wrote:Just a note on preparing the bone. Boiling the bones to clean them can weaken them. Yer better off finding your nearest anthill and letting them clean it out. No better way to remove all of the meat and marrow from it. :)

Even the marrow? Does he have an anteaters tounge or something?
"Althalus was a thief after all and he devoutly believed that actually working for a living was immoral"

Remember kids: fork + shoe = spleen

Fightin, drinkin' an' snaffling coo beastie!!!!!!!!!!
panda
Active Newbie

Postby noodle on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:05 pm

panda wrote:
noodle wrote:

Even the marrow? Does he have an anteaters tounge or something?

I'm not going to speculate about the contents of his room.
Head in the clouds, feet in the grass, mind in the gutter...
noodle
Full Name: Niamh Carey

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat