Buying swords - advice on blades please?

Moderator: the_power

Buying swords - advice on blades please?

Postby Siggi on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:13 pm

I'm currently researching swords to upgrade from the one I have.
When reading the specs for the swords, I'm coming across phrases such as
"EN45, 5160, hardened to Rockwell 52, marquenched, tempered" and such like.
I'm trying to make sense of the various specs, but can't find a readable guide to what effect these have on the performance of the sword.

Does anyone have a link to a readable guide, please?
Siggi
Full Name: Shea Cashman

Re: Buying swords - advice on blades please?

Postby oleg on Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:06 pm

You may use some glossaries to read more about "Heat Treatment Of Steel", for example
http://www.soloswiss.com/printable/proc ... index.html
http://www.eurotherm.com/industries/hea ... -of-terms/

Although there are websites like http://metallurgyfordummies.com/, getting through the terms is quite difficult.

================================================

The information is about manufacture process that may give you some insight into the blade qualities you will receive.
I doubt that manufacturers test every their blade under the microscope to see martensitic structure everywhere or test the blade using Rockwell-type hardness tester through the all surface of blade. Different parts of the blade may have different results etc.

I was looking for people who could experiment to get as close to the original process as possible. They are rare, because for smith it is easier to create own interpretation of the process that provides good result and put is as a spec. Often without any reference to finds that were manufactured according to this process etc.

So, basically, if you do not want replica that duplicates manufacture process, you will need to look at other properties - number of happy customers the smith have, diameter of the circle you can bend your sword in, number of notches you will have after the training etc.
http://www.bran-deas.kiev.ua
Bran-Deas - group, focused on Ireland(IX-XI) located in Kiev, Ukraine.
Goddammit, sign up for free!
oleg
Active Newbie
Full Name: Oleg Shevtoff

Postby Siggi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:42 am

Thanks. They're quite good and readable.

In effect you're saying that the reputation of the smith is probably as important as the specs given. Is that correct?
Siggi

Postby brendan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:03 am

I would say that if you are looking for a good functional blade then reputation of the smith is critical.

If possible see if you can handle swords made by different manufacturers and see which you like best. If you are looking for a museum grade replica you are in a different category to a reenactment blade or a wall hanger that might look well but is purely for show.

Overall weight and center of balance are important considerations as well. They will determine how fast the blade is.

If you are going for a reenactment combat sword price point is another key consideration: You can get a reasonable sword that might or might not last for <€100. You could go to maybe €300 and get a good sword that will last you years. You can go to €500 for something a bit special...and then you can bling it up.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby Siggi on Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:27 am

Thanks,

I've handled a few Bob Davies, Paul Binns and Armourclass swords.

Presumably any of these would be decent - I'm coming from a Hanwei Practical Sword which has broken already.
Siggi

Postby brendan on Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Bob makes nice swords but I think there is a waiting list. Armour class and Paul binns are both good, my own Viking sword is binns and I've had no problems with it - have had it since 2006 maybe before...though it does depend on how it's treated.
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Return to General Chat