Re: Tool and weapon handling by the public at events

Postby brendan on Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:56 am

Fair enough then!
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Re: Tool and weapon handling by the public at events

Postby Na Fianna Éireann on Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:20 pm

brendan wrote:When I say that Insurance is a red herring what I mean is that deciding on how to run a display on the basis of what insurance will let you get away with is at the best irresponsible - being covered does not exhonerate the individual from responsibility to ensure that all reasonable efforts are made to ensure that nothing goes wrong.

I think Brendan has the crux of the matter at hand here and well said Brendan , when I do events or displays for the public like for example I recently attended Malahide, my rule of thumb is to cordon of my display lay everyrthing out for public to see but out of reach of arms length and never to let any one under 18 or if they look under 18 to handle any thing at all full stop, common sense should dictate that teenagers or under should ever be in have possession of any kind of weapon or percieved weapon and whether it be a sword, bayonet or deactivated gun we adults have a responsibility to police our displays accordingly so as not to unduly influence minds of young people.

Bye and large from what I do see most people take a common sense approach to this any way, insurance covers us in general terms but I have witnessed over these last few years reenactors being injured carelessly with blanks fired too close to them, people being shot with arrows and one with a sword wound as well, accidents indeed and I doubt any one would deliberately set out to injure another person , but if in the event of an accident happening you would still be held responsible to the full rigors of the law of the land.
Na Fianna Éireann Fíor inár gCroíthe Neart inár Láimhe Comhsheasmhacht inár dTeanga.
Na Fianna Éireann
Active Newbie
Full Name: i never forget

Previous

Return to General Chat