The importance of wearing safety equipment

Moderator: the_power

Re: The importance of wearing safety equipment

Postby sabrewolfe on Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:35 pm

knightofredemption wrote:Fiberglass armour

I think it was the armor that was fibreglass in the case Paul is discussing

I prefer the idea dave was talking about where they use pasta as the deliberate point of failure in the lance rather than having a lance made entirely out of balsa wood.

I know this much I would not fancy being on the receiving end of any object being wielded by a horse propelled clanky.

Dave Mooney wrote:I've seen footage of a stunt/display team doing it and their lances are not stiff all the way along. A segment in the middle is replaced with what looks like a bunch (traditional measurement) of pasta (straight) that is bound in. The lance then explodes at that point and it looks like splinters. Fibre glass is all you need for that level of fakery.
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie
Full Name: Paul Brangan

Postby nathan on Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:25 pm

i have talked to people who knew the mentioned guy. he was doing his first joust yet had done a large amount of training he also had a very good knowledge of armour. the reason for the accident seems to be very bad luck as well as not using a certain technique though not being there or knowing enough i would choose not to comment.
as the splinter entered through his visor then it is likely he did not look up as jousting custom dictated to avoid this happening. though i do not know enough on this to say much more.
as for armour i have seen a good many jousts both online and in person armour varies from fully authentic hand crafted plate down to rubber and plastics as well.
the main reason is the huge cost of jousting armour i would love to learn and do it myself and have done a lot of research on it but the costs are far too high.
also lances after this were heavily revised in design the tips of some changing to cork wood some lances rather than being one piece changing to a tip insert and so on.
either way it is a good idea for all groups to at least have one member who is trained in first aid as you never know what can happen.
for here starts war carrion birds sing, and grey wolves howl
nathan
Active Newbie
Full Name: nathan featherstone

Postby barry on Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:20 pm

Hi all
@ Paul fifty quid sounds good to me mate i will get one from you in cork if that is ok.
None
barry
Active Newbie

Postby sabrewolfe on Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:21 pm

Done Barry, will have it with me on Saturday morning.
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

Need a free Medic or First Aider for your gig check out http://sites.google.com/site/sabre151/monkeymedical
Trauma Junkie "Its not that I want you to get hurt, I just want to be there when you are"
sabrewolfe
Active Newbie

Postby Ethereal Dreamer on Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:42 pm

Like the sound of that first aid course, Paul, and the kit too. Never hurts to have extras of this kind of stuff for sure.
Ethereal Dreamer
Full Name: Suzy Cantrell

Postby sabrewolfe on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:18 am

Im actually thinking of compiling a First Aid guide taoilered to re-enactment. It would be my intention to include a section of pictures of injuries that can happen during re-enactment, obviously I would use a stock photo of the specific injury caused rather than faff around photographing someone when they should be treated, this would also address issues about if someone appears more than once they wont appear to be a dangerous combatant. This guide could also-

A: Be used to educate group first aiders about some injuries they may not have taken into account (spinal injuries etc).
B: Show newbies and people who should know better what happens when you dont wear safety equipment.
C: Show everyone the injuries that could have happened but had been prevented by safety equipment.

Does anyone think this would be usefull, or have any ideas on the topic ?
Monkey The Medic (EMT)
An Fáinne Fiá­in

sabrewolfe
Active Newbie

Postby brendan on Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:48 am

Paul,
that sounds like a really good idea.
My personal assessment is that the risk of injuries happening is relatively low relative to, for example, 5 a side football. However, the type of injury possible is on the upper end of what is possible.

I remember when I started in reenactment how this was conveyed: 'Totally safe' combined with stories like 'the guy who had to have his eyeball removed to take out the spear head that went through his jaw'

Apart from being good to know this sort of thing shows a commitment to improving the safety levels in the hobby as a whole.

Brendan
brendan
Active Newbie
Full Name: Brendan Griffin

Postby the_power on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:19 pm

I think it'd be a wonderful idea. I wouldn't mind putting a 'precautionary appendix', where you describe how limit the chances of said injuries.

John, still nursing a broken collarbone
the_power
Active Newbie
Full Name: John Looney

Previous

Return to General Chat